Topic

cutting ripstop

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear cutting ripstop

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    brian fitzmartin

@brianfitz

Locale: philadelphia PA

will need something special it cut 1.9 ripstop with a dwr . will it fray. are scissors good enough thanks brian

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

A sharp pair of scissors has worked well for me. It will keep the edge from fraying as much when you cut it. You will need to sear the edge if you don't want it to unravel though. I used a small oil burning candle we had at the house. I held it away from the edge just enough to make it shrink back a little. You can use a lighter but you have to be really careful. Just take your time both cutting and searing and it will be a piece of cake.
    Just out of curiosity, what are you making? Inquiring minds always like to know what new projects others are working on :).

Adam

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Sharp scissors will work OK and are probably the best choice if you are making one small project but if you just once use a rotary cutter and a cutting mat you'll never go back.

Not cheap though but shop around on-line and you can reduce that pain some.

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

I've been thinking about one of these for my homemade projects…

Excalibur

Graham Williams

@crackers

Are you going to use binding tape? If you are, don't worry so much about the edge. Otherwise, you can singe it pretty simply with a lighter. In factories they use extended lighters like the ones for a bbq or grill. Just practice singing or you'll burn it up. And don't forget about ventilation…

Get a real pair of scissors like 10" flat shears (~$50)or a rotary cutter (~300) if you'll be doing a decent amount of cutting. The only real advantage of rotary cutters in cutting synthetics is that rotary cutters do cut curves faster.

Jason Brinkman
    BPL Member

@jbrinkmanboi

Locale: Idaho

I haven't tried it personally, but I've heard that a soldering gun (one with a chisel tip) works well to cut and sear the edge simultaneously.

brian fitzmartin

@brianfitz

i'm going to make a synthetic vest for my dog . she's a cold sleeper.ruff wear has one for $50.00 that is heavy .mine will cost $15.00 and that includes shipping and extra needles.

Graham Williams

@crackers

Honestly, if you're using binding tape, aka grosgrain ribbon, over the seams, you don't need to seal the edge of the fabric. Soldering guns aren't worth the time and hassle in my (industrial) environment. If it's fabric, for example super fine 15d x 30d silicon impregnated nylon, that needs to have a set edge, i take the roll down the block to the cutter who lays it out on a 15 meter table and cuts it electronically with a heat ray.

And if you're making something for your dog, use binding tape: it will last longer and there will be less edgewise to scratch your dog…

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

Brian,

For years I've used a "blade" that came with my soldering gun. If you've got a wood deck on your house the slots between the planks make a great straight edge for cutting straight lines. Works great, especially if you don't happen to know anyone with a laser cutter.

ed dzierzak
    BPL Member

@dzierzak

Locale: SE

Been using a woodburning set "pen". Heats up well and melts the ends to prevent fraying. Can be used freehand (if you're steady) or with straightedge for straight cuts.
    I cut (melt) on a piece of fiber board.

ed

brian fitzmartin

@brianfitz

just made a prototype ( mested up the first one ) i just cut it ,sewed the seams ,then pulled it right side out. thanks for your advice . my $15.00 prodjuct just went up to $30.00. oh well live and learn.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools