Topic

Attn: Boulder, CO area people!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Attn: Boulder, CO area people!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

I want to announce an upcoming local event. Our Boulder Lightpackers meet-up group
    will be hosting a forum on through-hiking (or section hiking) long trails. We will
    have BPL's own Paul Magnanti give a brief overview, and then a panel of 3 accomplished hikers will take questions from the audience. In addition, Bill Manning, Executive Director of the Colorado Trail Association, will give a brief presentation on that group's efforts. The following is the blurb that will be printed in the Daily Camera newspaper:

Tuesday, April 8 at Neptune Mountaineering, 633 S. Broadway, Boulder; 6:00-7:45 PM.

Extended Trips and Section Hiking of Long Trails, with special guest Bill Manning,
    Executive Director, The Colorado Trail Foundation.

The program will be forum-style, where several experienced multi-day hikers will offer
    their opinions on inquiries from the audience. Ask questions about clothing and gear
    choices, menu planning, weather and altitude considerations, etc. Get advice on logistics issues such as how to get to the trailhead, the best maps and guidebooks, ease of re-supply, available water sources, the unique aspects of each long trail. etc.

This should be a great presentation, and I hope many of you can make it.

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

If you video tape it, I'd be interested in watching the Q&A.

Andrew U
    Spectator

@anarkhos

Locale: Colorado, Wyoming

Will there be tickets sold at the door or is this a free event?

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

It is a free event.

Liz "Snorkel" Thomas will also be on the panel. An amazing and energetic hiker. Glad she can join us, too
    http://www.eathomas.com/

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

It's a completely free program. We don't have any money, so that's why we can't even pay Mags an honorarium (but maybe a couple of free beers at the brew pub next door afterwards). And Paul is right–Liz should be quite an addition to our panel. This whole thing is happening because of the generosity of Bill Manning, Mags, Liz, and also the good people at Neptune's. So, please, if you live near Boulder, drop in and catch the show. It should be a good one.

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

BTW, that Brew Pub next door is Excellent!! I will try to make this event.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

It would be great to finally meet you Randy, after all this time. And you will win the gnar award for the drive through Denver during the height of rush hour!

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

The Southern Sun is next door. One of my absolute favorite places for post-hikes, planning hikes or talking about hikes.

The java porter on nitro is sublime.

I'm just happy to help out. I love talking trails. It is my passion and being able to share what I've done is a reward in itself.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Gary I would love to come ! All I need in addition to a free ticket is a free plane ticket :0 You should really film it ! A lot of people including myself would love to be there but can't.

Gordon Gray
    BPL Member

@gordong

Locale: Front Range, CO

Dang it. Wouldn't you rather host it on Monday or Wednesday? ;)

I would love to come but have plans that night.

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Thanks for the heads-up, Gary. Will Neptune be hosting more than the occasional Lightpackers meeting? I really hope I can be there. Crossing my fingers I don't have to travel next week.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Sorry for your schedule conflict, Gordon. When we scored the meeting room space at Neptune's, we had to commit to a specific day each month through 2014. We decided upon the second Tuesday of the month, to avoid clashing with the weekends and also the various Monday holidays.

I wasn't quite sure about your post, Stuart. Are you wondering if Neptune's has other programs? I think they pretty much have something significant every Thursday. As for our group, we will do the monthly Tuesday thing April, May, and June, and have a summer recess July-Sept, and start back up in October.

The May topic will be "Communications on the Trail," which will cover the various emergency devices such as PLBs and Spots, and we will discuss satellite phones and lightweight ham radios. We will also have the DeLorme rep discuss their new In Reach device.

June isn't firmed up yet, but we're thinking of meeting at a local park and do a show-and-tell of our shelters, and maybe even do stoves too (if the park rules allow us to). It would be fun to see how everybody cooks their dinners.

Now, I say we have a BPL fundraising drive, to buy Link a flight to Boulder. I'm not sure if we can figure out a way to film the event, with so little time left.

Seth Brewer
    BPL Member

@whistler

Locale: www.peaksandvalleys.weebly.com

I'd love to watch it online if anyone would want to video it :-)

Snorkel is great, and I'd love to hear from Paul and some of the other experienced hikers on what they think.

East Coaster

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Gary – You answered my question: this isn't just a one-off meeting at Neptune – they've agreed to hosting Boulder Lightpackers through the end of the year. That's awesome! After losing the meeting room at REI and struggling to get traction at Jax, this is a great opportunity for a fresh start.

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

I have a face made for podcasting. ;)

Though fans of the TTS can finally see all those hand movements POD is making allusions to!

Harrison Carpenter
    Spectator

@carpenh

Locale: St. Vrain River Valley

My work schedule stinks. If you do manage to create/upload that video, I'd be grateful. Here's hoping everything goes well!

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Sorry I'm stuck here in 'Vegas this week. Been to both Neptune mountaineering and Southern Sun many times B/C my daughter's family lives in Lewisville, Boulder's YUPPIE neighbor.

In fact I've spent way too much at Neptune Mountaineering for skis, bindings, labor, books, clothing and gear. But I've never spent too much at Southern Sun since my beer-loving son-in-law/CU professor often picks up the tab. God love him!

OOPS! Right Peter, Louisville. And yes, my son-in-law has taken me to Gravity Brewing. Good beer. And the hole in the left wall permits ordering food from the VFW. Neat!

Peter Bakwin
    BPL Member

@pbakwin

"Louisville". When there check out Gravity Brewing.

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Enjoyed the discussion tonight. Unfortunately I didn't get to stay around too long afterwards to enjoy a pint at Southern Sun. Thanks Paul and to the excellent panel!

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

I think we pulled it off–the program was excellent. Bill, and the panel of Mags, Liz, and Mike gave the audience of over 50 people a real show. I'm sorry that we didn't think to set up a video recording of it, as it would have been worth doing.

Good to see you there, Randy, as well as Stuart and the others. It was a fun night.

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

It was a pleasure. Great meeting everyone. Had a good time giving the talk. I asked my wife when I can quit my job again. :D

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

It was great to meet you, Mags, and to see you in action on the panel. For those that don't know this guy, he is the real deal. You know from his BPL posts that he is intelligent and articulate. But you may not know that he also is calm and polite, he presents very well, and he doesn't display a know-it-all ego. And he is a computer genius! You and Liz made the show a success, and I personally thank you for your efforts on behalf of Boulder Lightpackers.

I think it's ironic that you and Skurka, two east coast guys, come out here and school Colorado folks on how to hike and camp.

Don't quit your day job though–you can't make a living on $25 per show (Neptune's graciously provided the panel with gift cards for their efforts). Your wife would have to take a second job, and I expect that she hates when that happens.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools