Topic

PLB use

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) PLB use

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

I'm looking at purchasing a PLB, probably the McMurdo Fastfind PLB unit and would like to know if there is any way to tell if your message has been picked up when activated. Is it even worth having a PLB when most of my hiking is pretty much heavily wooded?

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

if there is any way to tell if your message has been picked up when activated

No. PLBs cannot receive a confirmation signal.

Is it even worth having a PLB when most of my hiking is pretty much heavily wooded?

If you mean "will a PLB work in a heavily wooded area?", the answer is "probably, eventually".

In my experience with the DeLorme inReach SE, a signal will go through heavily wooded redwood forest pretty reliably, though sometimes delayed by many minutes as the device resends until confirmation. The inReach SE is a satellite communicator which uses radio frequencies that have a harder time getting through forests than PLBs.

You may see comments about the unreliability of PLB test signals. A PLB test signal is sent once; many issues could stop that one signal, and those issues change over time (e.g. satellite position in the sky).

A PLB activated for a true emergency sends a signal every minute for at least 24 hours – 1,440 times. Your signal is much more likely to go through.

— Rex

Zorg Zumo

@burnnotice

Are you hiking solo? Do you have cell coverage? Nasty weather? Long trip with no survivable "overdue" time limit?

I glad we have options: PLB, SPOT, InReach – and there's also SAT phone rental.

Just one thing about the McMurdo – watch a video of it being deployed – it's not a simple button push.

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Hiking solo.

Yes, I watched the video. It really isn't so bad, but depending on the conditions, it might. Nothing is 100%

I do carry a cell phone, but sometimes signals can't be picked up.

Yes, I hike in nasty weather. You know the old saying "if you want the weather to change, wait a few minutes".

Not interested in the SPOT. Doesn't work very well here in the east coast.

As for length of trip…overdue is overdue regardless of the return time. I'd like to send for help when I need it and not have to wait 6 days when my return time is 5 days.

I'll look at the InReach as well.

Zorg Zumo

@burnnotice

Do you have 1st hand experience with SPOT? I've been using SPOT for 6 years now in the heavily wooded PNW and my wife loves it.

Anyways, the reason I brought up deploying the FastFind is that it isn't a one-handed operation (for me at least), which is something to consider if you're gonna be hanging from a rope on the face of a cliff somewhere all busted up. But obviously you're not.

If you want to keep loved ones in the loop then SPOT, InReach and Satellite phone are your options. ACR's ResQLink PLB has a limited message service you buy as well. You might look into rental if cost is the concern.

PLB, SPOT and InReach will all get an SOS signal out from under canopy, but they might not be able to get a GPS fix – so the SOS message might not have coordinates with it. A remote possibility, although I've not seen that when looking through the "saves" stories.

There are a lot of threads on PLBs, SPOT and InReach – hopefully they are still available with a simple search.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"PLB, SPOT and InReach will all get an SOS signal out from under canopy, but they might not be able to get a GPS fix – so the SOS message might not have coordinates with it."

I was asked about this just yesterday. What makes it complicated is that there are there are three completely different systems of satellites involved with the inReach device. First, you have GPS satellites flying across the sky, about 11,000 miles up in space. The GPS receiver has to get those signals to develop a position fix. Secondly, if you must send an SOS call, it has to go up to a GEOS satellite 22,000 miles up in fixed geosynchronous orbit. Thirdly, if some rescue agency gets the SOS message delivered to them from GEOS and they can see the position fix, then they probably want to send a text message back to the device to confirm that it is a real emergency, and that would go back over the Iridium satellites flying across 485 miles up in low Earth orbit. Meanwhile, there are bits and pieces of Internet tying all of these hops together. Yes, it is quite involved.

–B.G.–

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Ah yes, nothing like Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt –

"..the FastFind is that it isn't a one-handed operation (for me at least)…"

… but for most of us it could be accomplished quite easily.

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

That antenna might poke out an eye!

Makes me wonder if any of these items are worth having.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

PLB, SPOT and InReach will all get an SOS signal out from under canopy, but they might not be able to get a GPS fix – so the SOS message might not have coordinates with it.

Except the Air Force can find a PLB without a GPS fix (details). That's not true for SPOT, inReach, or any other satellite-based emergency signal.

Makes me wonder if any of these items are worth having.

Only you can judge that.

Many people carry PLB, SPOT, or inReach as a "permission device".

Lots more background information here.

— Rex

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

I'm dead certain Donna is joking; at least, she had me laughing.

M Blick

@mattblick

Locale: Ohio

I've been using SPOT connect for 3 years now; maybe it is 2? I have had no issues sending out messages; they have always arrived. My backpacking has been in KY, TN, NC, and WV (very wooded). I do not use the predefined messages as I read about sync issues between the app and database leading to the delivery of the wrong predefined message. The custom messages only cost a dime.

While my Spot Connect has served me well, I believe some of the newer solutions from other vendors (specifically 2-way ones) might be better.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools