Topic

MYOG – Winter Splitboarding Day Tripping Pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG – Winter Splitboarding Day Tripping Pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

I've been on a bit of a pack kick lately and sewed up two new ones in the course of about a month. I shared pictures of my "Franken-ruck" recently but what follows was a previous work.

It's a bit more detailed and includes a foam framesheet in a tight-fitting sleeve, a probe/shovel handle/saw pocket, a daisy chain on the front, two rows of PALS on the bottom, simple hip stabilizer belt, and hooking top closure mechanism.

Fabrics employed are 1000d Cordura (both coated and uncoated), 200d Cordura, VX-21, spinnaker, silnylon, and then various bits of webbing and other notions.

I've had this out for one long day in the backcountry with standard avalanche gear, ten essentials, et al and it absolutely swallows everything up. I carried my split in a-frame very comfortably (using ski strap at top tips).

I did not include a small organizer pocket inside nor do a lid for this pack and I could see that being a future update.

Weight is +/- 20 oz.
    Volume is 37 liters up to the collar

ski-pack-front

ski-pack-back

ski-pack-side

Jon Holthaus
    BPL Member

@t25hatch

I really like the collage of colors, it fits the mold of a snow bum, making something out of what you had laying on the work bench, so you can use it later today. How does the single webbing hipbelt work splitboarding with the continuous lateral shifting?

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Nice pack Sam. I like working with 1000D, and it certainly gets the job done in high abrasion applications.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Jon, for years I've used only a simple webbing stabilizer belt on my day trip packs. My full loadout for a day in the mountains is maybe fifteen pounds if I've got lots of water and typically ten or less. So when I'm descending in snowboard mode the belt keeps the load well-placed. Note I added side compression straps which bring the load in toward my back nicely as well. For ascending I'm not a super hardcore enthusiast so most of the trip I'll have the skis and skins on and ascending via that method. Perhaps topping out on a line I'll need to throw the skis onto the pack using the a-frame style and the minimal testing I've done on this so far was a good success. I'll be curious to see how well it works for extended hikes up to snow line this spring and summer. That may prove less comfortable.

Dave, as much as we all love the lightweight fabrics there is just something to be said for something with a decent weight, proven durability, and above average water resistance. BTW your Bedrock & Paradox pack posts over the past year or two were great inspiration toward this creation so thank you.

Darren Graff
    Spectator

@packfan

Locale: Sierra Nevadas

Cool pack! Looks like you have some good coverage. I've always wanted to try that split boarding.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

I'd been snowboarding for around twenty years when I started wanting to get into the backcountry with any seriousness and rather than try and take up telemarking for backcountry travel – which would mean learning a whole new skill set I got myself a splitboard and have never looked back. Love it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools