Topic

What Do You Do with Almost-Empty Fuel Canisters?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique What Do You Do with Almost-Empty Fuel Canisters?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 24 posts - 26 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

Hmmm. The only shrapnel I've taken was from an m80 in a tin can dressed up like a rocket with construction paper.

Might be time to gather some more tiny scars.

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Locale: Founder & Lead Moderator, https://www.facebook.com/groups/SierraNorthPCThikers

Thanks Marko — That truly (what you found) is the solution.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Are canisters that much more wasteful than denatured alcohol cans? Granted, you can buy denatured alcohol by the quart, but you also burn it by the ounce…
    And the cost per boil with Esbit is pretty ridiculous.

I wouldn't buy a tool to recycle canisters. If there's not enough left to cook with, just bleed it off with your stove and puncture it with a screwdriver. It accomplishes the same thing as the Jetboil tool with things you already own.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

do you really need to puncture it?

If you run it until it stops burning, maybe let if go a bit longer, there will be so little butane in it it won't be a risk

Glenn S

@glenn64

Locale: Snowhere, MN

I thought puncturing was more of a space saving thing, to make it crushable. But again, I haven't used them, so just wondering.

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

>"now you know why I have never used a canister stove. The expense, waste and disposal of old canisters is a drag."

Some of us don't have much choice. I backpack mostly in Arizona, California, and occasionally in New Mexico. for much of the year, those areas have a full fire ban in effect (for very good reason, I might add). So if I want to cook legally (and I do) I'm limited to canister stoves 90% of the time. I guess that's the price I have to pay for stunning scenery like Grand Canyon, the High Sierras, etc. — seems well worth it to me… :^)

If I were still backpacking in NH and NY — well, that would be another story!

I think Glenn S makes a good point, though — I should do a few burn tests and weight calculations and then I'll be confident about how far each "mostly empty" canister can stretch.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

My recycling center boys get kinda grumpy if they aren't punctured first. I think I read where you don't want to use a galvanized nail to poke the holes, as they might cause a spark. Not good if there's a wee bit of fuel remaining.

I use a Crunch-it, mainly because the Jetboil rep gave one to me for free, it's fun to play with, and it gives me something to do while I'm sipping my morning coffee on the patio. I just save up 5-6 empties and do them all at once. They sit out overnight to evaporate the last vestiges of fuel, then they are tossed into the recycling bin.

robert van putten

@bawana

Locale: Planet Bob

I've use my Trangia in the Grand Canyon.Are there restrictions in place on alcohol stoves there?

trangia

In fact a ranger talked to me for a while in Indian Gardens and remarked upon my Trangia stove. He said something along the lines of "I see your doing the whole lightweight thing and have a Trangia" -( As if the full Trangia 25 kit is lightweight? )

He expressed a good deal of interest in my TarpTent Rainshadow 2.

But he never batted an eye about the alcohol stove.

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Robert,
    Fire restrictions in Grand Canyon are implemented "as needed" on a seasonal basis. Unlike the Sierras, they don't specifically ban alcohol stoves (it's a "wood/charcoal" ban), but most other places in AZ have total open fire bans (legally, you are even required to smoke and extinguish cigarettes inside a building or vehicle) for several months a year.

And as we know from the Sierras, each ranger seems to have their own interpretation of regulations…

David Adair
    Spectator

@davidadair

Locale: West Dakota

"That blowed up real good" is just not in my lexicon"

Thanks, I'm still laughing.

Also for those so inclined, Brunton made the "Fuel tool" for refilling some of their lanterns and stuff from a canister. It has a pipe fitting. Two of these and a piece of tube could be used for refilling canisters. Use a vice grip or small c-clamp for a valve if need be. Reread David Thomas's post and make sure you know the maximum allowable full weight for that canister type.

Here they are on 'bay for $7.65 each with free shipping:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/161252137985

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

>"Also for those so inclined, Brunton made the "Fuel tool" for refilling some of their lanterns and stuff from a canister. It has a pipe fitting."

I've got one of those (I've got one or two of most things) and it isn't a pipe thread, alas. I wish it was. It is a smooth tube that projects out and is loosely fit to the adapter. It works to quickly refill lighters, etc, but attempting to use it to connect two canisters results in lots of leakage.

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

Locale: NoCo

"Heh, we stared doing this when we were in the service and since we worked swing shift we naturally were blowing the things up after work at about 1 or 2 in the morning in an empty lot on the side of some highway down in Arkansas.

Hey it was Arkansas, didn't seem unreasonable at the time. But a extraordinarily fat cop did show up and proceeded to try and bully us around. Even called me "Boy" despite the fact I was still wearing my sergeants uniform at the time.

But we were MUCH better armed than he was and even though he called it in but nobody could find any laws to nail us with so he had to leave us alone. They did try to pin "jack lighting" on us, but that was pretty absurd, even for that fat jackass of a southern cop.

So we went back to happily blowing shit up."

Sorry bud, but it doesn't sound like the cops are the jackasses here. The guys "blowing shit up" "at about 1 or 2 in the morning" and intimidating the law enforcement officer they have outnumbered and outgunned are.

robert van putten

@bawana

Did you mean to say the cops "are not" instead of "are"?

Anyway, believe me, the guy didn't look intimidated and I call him a jackass because he was so very disrespectful. Ever have cop repeatedly call you "Boy" and "I know I seen you aroun hea boy" you know, the whole stereotypical southern cop routine. Like he got his cop training by watching the Dukes of Hazard.

I'll give law enforcement the respect I get from them. They are just my servants after all.

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

correct. edited.

I don't see how you are in the right blowing stuff up in the middle of the night.

robert van putten

@bawana

Why not?
    No law against blowing stuff up at any time. Exploding targets are quite fun and sold in many forms.

There are laws about disturbing the peace, laws about reckless endangerment, about trespassing, about "jacklighting", and on and on. We didn't break any of those, so there was nothing the cop could do. He did try his very best to bully us around, but that didn't work.

As far as disposing of empty canisters I think I'd prefer to puncture them for safety reasons, and I think the safest way to do that is from fifty to 100 yards with a .22 rifle. Call me a coward but the idea of hitting them with a hammer, forcing a nail or screw driver through 'em or even some sort of fancy can opener just gives me the willies.

But then I have seen them explode, so I know what kind of destructive force your playing with when ya take that screw driver to one.

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

"Now open fire and enjoy the fireballs. You get to learn just what kinda destructive power you really are humping along in yer pack, sharpen your night shooting skills and if your lucky really piss off and intimidate the neighbors."

With this kind of attitude, I hope you are never my neighbor. Then you come on here and brag about intimidating a cop that was in all likely hood just responding to a complaint about some jerks out blowing stuff up in the middle of the night.

That said, I'm all up for blowing them up during the day if there aren't any neighbors close by.

robert van putten

@bawana

Awww, poor little cop. Did I traumatize him? :)
    I don't think so.
    And you don't care a bit about his "I seen you before Boy" routine of his?
    He is allowed to disrespect citizens like that?

Also, if he had been responding to a complaint it would have been a different matter, especially that late at night, and we would have indeed been disturbing the peace and likely arrested if we had persisted!

I get the feeling you just don't like blowing things up and think it should be illegal just because?

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Ummmm, can we get back to the subject at hand?

This was a sincere attempt to find out what ideas people have for using up almost empty canisters (hopefully in an environmentally responsible way — to the extent that's possible).

And I hope, for someone's sake, that Ian doesn't find the previous posts…

robert van putten

@bawana

I apologize, I'm not trying to start an argument.

At the camp ground in Reykjavik I did see lots of half empty canisters left by folk leaving Iceland, and of course many folk just arriving picked up several. Most were cycle tourists who could probably afford the room and weight of several half empty tanks, and it saved them plenty of money. They were quite expensive in Iceland.

I myself had a gasoline pressure stove on that trip, so I didn't need any.

But cycle trips where you are not as concerned about every ounce might be one way to use up several half empty tanks.

So are day hikes where you stop for a nice hot cuppa before the hike back.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

"And I hope, for someone's sake, that Ian doesn't find the previous posts…"

Valerie,

That was uncalled for and rude. I realize that by me saying this will put you into an emotional tail spin but fortunately the caring souls of BPL will flood your PM inbox with messages of consolation and assurances that I'm an @$$hole… which I am.

You stay on your side of the internet and I'll stay on mine.

Regarding the OP,

I only use canister stoves when there is a fire threat so for me that's typically the Blue Mountains here in the PNW. I know from experience that the canisters I use weigh 3.5oz empty and contain 3.5oz of fuel. I also know that my stove needs .25oz of fuel to boil 16 oz of 40* water. If I have enough fuel to cover my needs for the trip, I'll bring it. Worst case scenario if I come up a bit short, the final attempt at reaching a boil should have the water hot enough to rehydrate my last meal. If I fall way short, then I rehydrate my meal with cold water… oh well.

My recommendation for someone buying a new stove is to invest a canister or two to measure its performance. Try to simulate the conditions you'll encounter in the field. Measure the canister before and after you boil the water. Try boiling water wide open, where the flame is small enough that it doesn't creep up the sides, and way low to see what your fuel consumption looks like.

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Ian, I REALLY didn't mean my statement the way you interpreted it, and I apologize for it seeming that way.

I meant to indicate that, because some of the posts were quite disrespectful of police (and you are the only openly law enforcement person I've encountered on BPL) that you might have something to say about their attitude (as another poster did).

I'm sorry that you think I'm some kind of hysterical whiner. Obviously, we've never met, and you don't know me at all, but you are entitled to your opinion. I, on the other hand, think that you are a decent guy who has a great sense of humour…you can get carried away on occasion, but that is not very often.

Again, apologies. My remark was not meant to insult you; it was just a reference to your profession.

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

If you do a bivy at or near the trailhead before starting a trip, use it up to make breakfast and coffee. Similar use if car camping for a weekend, too.

As for recycling, I use a church key style can opener:
    http://www.pmags.com/recycling-backpacking-fuel-canisters

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Sorry for jumping the gun then. Since our few interactions have been less than wonderful, I jumped to the wrong conclusion. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt from now on.

I'll take you off of my "Do Not Hike With List" if you take me off of yours. I'll even throw in a Mountain House Chicken and Rice and boil you a coup of cowboy/girl coffee that can double as paint stripper and is often referred to as the nectar of the gods to sweeten the deal.

Edit to add: "you are the only openly law enforcement person" There are others but I'm the only one who's out of the closet lol!

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Thank you, Ian. I *might* even share my special bourbon flask with you in exchange for the cowboy coffee! :^)

I was *trying* to keep this thread on track after it had derailed quite a bit.

Viewing 24 posts - 26 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools