Topic

Cocoon owners, fit/size help?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support Website & Forum Support Cocoon owners, fit/size help?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Daniel J Kowalski

@camperdan

Locale: Southwestern Ohio

Hello,

I need your help, please. Those of you who have the Cocoon UL 60 Hoody and Pants, I was wondering how the fit goes. My measurements: chest 41", waist 35", neck 16", sleeve length 33", inseam 30", height 5'9", weight 158 lbs. These measurements were taken tape to skin.

This is my current layering system to which I would be adding the Hoody. When hiking in cool weather, I wear an REI MTS medium weight l/s zip top. Then, for stops or in camp, I add a Marmot Reactor pullover zip top (100 wt. micro fleece @ 9 oz.). As the temperature drops, I would then be adding the Cocoon Hoody.

In regard to pants, I normally wear a pair of ExOfficio combo pants or Campmor nylon pants. They are low bulk and weigh about 9-11 ozs. This is what the Cocoon pants would be worn over. I am pretty much set on size large for the pants, in spite of the length of the inseam. However, the best Hoody size eludes me. My wp/b hard shell is a Marmot PreCip Rain Jacket and Pants, both size large.

In the future I might consider using the Cocoon garments as part of a multi-use sleep system. Currently, I use a WM Summerlight bag or a Mt. Hardware 2nd Dimension bag. The cut is so narrow on the Summerlight bag, that I doubt I could use the Cocoons in it, as they would no doubt be over compressed. I could, however, use it as a quilt, as it has a full zipper. The 2nd Dimension bag is too heavy for my liking, @3 lbs. 2oz. I will be looking into getting another down bag with a lower temp rating (10-20 degree rating) at a weight of about 2+ lbs.

So what size UL 60 Hoody might you all recommend? Large or medium?

FYI. My trips are generally in the hardwood forests of Kentucky, Tennessee, Indiana, Ohio, and West Virginia. Yes, its damp at times. Temperatures would range, for this application, from 20-65 degrees F. Elevations range from about 800 to 4300 feet. I'd like to eventually do trips down in the Smokies and/or sections of the AT. It almost always rains when I go backpacking. I am wanting to eliminate the weight and bulk of my 200 & 300 wt. polar fleece garments.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dan

Adrian B
    BPL Member

@adrianb

Locale: Auckland, New Zealand

I think large would be too big for the hoody.

Sorry don't have my chest etc measurements, but I'm just under 5'9", 165lb and I found the *medium* too baggy around the torso and returned it for the small. Small is ok, although still suprisingly big in chest & stomach, but length couldn't be any shorter.

Daniel J Kowalski

@camperdan

Adrian,

Thank you for your response. I decided to go with the Mont-Bell Thermawrap Parka. I wanted the pockets on the parka and the front pockets and side zips on the pants. There size large is a perfect fit for me.

Dan

Joe Kuster
    BPL Member

@slacklinejoe

Locale: Flatirons

I cannot comment on the jacket but I do own a pair of the pants. I have a 35 inch waist with a 30 inch inseam so our fit would be similar. I however have very thick thighs and find the pants a bit snug. I was expecting the Large to be enough to layer comfortably however I am actually at the max that it will fit comfortably in the thigh / waist area. I do however weight in at closer to 200 lbs.

Daniel J Kowalski

@camperdan

Joseph,

Thanks for your response.

Dan

Abdulaziz Al-Arfaj
    BPL Member

@aalarfaj

Locale: Northern MN

Can someone please let me know whether there is enough room for layering under the pullover? I am on the fence whether to get a large or an extra large. According to the sizing cart I should fit into a large but I want to make sure that I have enough room to layer under it. There are somethings that I fit better in an Extra large and other times I fit better in a large and I got burned ordering a jacket online a while back and don't want to make the same mistake twice. Thank you
    aziz

Adrian B
    BPL Member

@adrianb

Locale: Auckland, New Zealand

There's plenty of room under my Hoody, even in a size down from what I normally wear. So I don't think you'd need the xtra large.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools