Topic

My Ultralight Blog

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire On the Web My Ultralight Blog

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Brett Marl
    Spectator

@brettmarl

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Shameless plug for my blog on ultralight gear. My gearlist and reviews.

blog at:

http://www.brettonstuff.com

gear list page:

http://www.brettonstuff.com/index.php/backpacking/gearlist/

any suggestions/feedback welcome.

ian wright

@ianwright

Locale: Photo - Mt Everest - 1980

Blogs can be fun and your's is great!
    Random mix of gear and food, not bad.
    And a nice look and layout.
    I've added it to my favourites list and will go thru it later.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Brett,
    I worked for 2 1/2 years for said Issaquah based importer of your fish sauce ;-) that you mention.
    Learned quite a bit about Thai food during that time. I left my job there this past spring.

Do you use the Coconut Cream powder in your meals? I use it quite a bit.

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

Brett, great site; I am envious. It looks very professional the way the pictures are embedded in the text, generally with a transparent background. Putting mini-pictures in the gear list really makes the list come to life.
    Maybe add a search feature if you can?

Ive started one at blogspot but the site is very primitive and I am not happy with it. May I ask what software you use to blog with?

And I promise not to name my blog "Brett2 on stuff" !

Brett Marl
    Spectator

@brettmarl

I'm just using WordPress – they have some nice clean templates. I started with the default wordpress theme based on Kubrick. I then hacked on the header and a few areas.

I host WordPress myself – but I'm sure you could setup the same feel on blogspot, or even take a look at the hosted wordress service at http://www.wordpress.com.

As you can see… I've also gotten quite handy at hacking on photos in photoshop to strip out the background :)

Brett Marl
    Spectator

@brettmarl

When you ask if I use Coconut Cream Powder – do you mean in the context of backpacking meals, or off-the-mountain meals?

I haven't tried it for either – but it might be interesting for both :)

Of course, my thai food mentor (Kasma) is quite the purist and would probably not approve of coconut in powder form!

Does Uwajimaya or Viet Wah have it? I might give it a try.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Coconut cream powder for backpacking is quite useful :-) Both places you mention carry it. Hit Uji in Seattle though, not Bellevue, as the prices on the packets are 1/3rd of the price.

The Seattle shop carries a number of brands of it (it is next to the coconut milk).

You can use it instead of dry milk in oatmeal, rice dishes, etc. What it does boast is a power punch of fat (9 grams per serving). It gives trail curries, curry couscous dishes, etc a creamy and fatty texture.

I carry the Kara brand powder on my site (it is not Thai though, it is from Indonesia) and it is one of my best selling items. Whatever brand you get, get the packets in foil, and not the huge boxes. That way it doesn't go stale.

Now go make me some Drunken Noodles ;-)

Thomas Knighton

@tomcat1066

Locale: Southwest GA

I just checked out your site, and I'm impressed! I especially like how you did your gear list, with links to your personal reviews of the items you carry. Obviously, they're all great reviews, otherwise you wouldn't be carrying the items in question, but still.

Great work!

Tom

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

FYI – I actually subscribed to it using google reader a while back and have enjoyed every post.

I must say, the Thai Food posts are quite refreshing. I've been dying to know, though, if you saw TV : Good Eats : Your Pad or Mine ( Thai ) : Food Network and what your thoughts were if you did. ;)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools