Topic

Types of Spinnaker fabric?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Types of Spinnaker fabric?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    David McCollum
    BPL Member

@kb9ivb

Locale: Indiana

In Jay Ham's 5 part article, he used spinnaker cloth, but did not specify a type. I have found a sailing supply shop and have discovered that there are an amazing assortment of fabrics used for spinnacker sails. Some is as light as .5 oz/sailors yard. Does anyone know what particular weight I should use?

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

thru-hiker.com has the best avialable to DYI'ers….it's the same type I use and is very similar to the ones other makers use to. It's a silicone based coating.

Beware the online kite store type spinnaker touted as .5oz/sq/sm/yd – they are not coated with the same stuff or at all and will not be waterproof enough for a tarp. Those are also listed at the raw / untreated weights and are at min .9-1.0 oz / sq/yd. and no where near as waterproof as the Spinntexx at thru-hiker.

Yeah…I know… it's exciting to think it could be waterproof AND sub .7oz AND not expensive….

Graham Williams

@crackers

Ditto Ron's comments, with one addition.

Most lightweight sail cloth is extremely rigid. It will make a ton of noise in the woods and isn't really good at what you're looking for…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools