Topic

bivy for spinnshelter

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) bivy for spinnshelter

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Nikola Sijan
    Spectator

@sijannikola

My spinnshelter is on its way, still have a dillema which bivy to pair up with it.

I am fairly athletic 6'2" 205 lb restless sleeper and cant make up my mind whether to go with wide Borah Gear bug bivy or go for custom made wider one. I toss and turn whole night usually sleeping on side with my legs in figure 4.

Also, is fully protected bivy an overkill for Spinnshelter in the summer?

Cheers, Nick

Justin C
    BPL Member

@paintballr4life

Locale: East Coast

I had a Spinnshelter and it paired nicely with my MLD serenity shelter.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I'm not a bivy guy, but that said was VERY impressed with the Katabatic Bristlecone I had. Can't imagine a better made, higher quality bivy. I'm 6'1" 220lbs and went with the long wide. I could get dressed-undressed in that thing. SO much room.

If I were to do it over again I'd get the regular wide. On second thought, I would go for a net inner like the MLD Bug Bivy or the Yama 1.25. Both are super high quality gear.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I wrested with this question when looking at bug protection for my Gatewood Cape.

A bivy isn't needed, but bug protection is welcome in season. The Serenity net tent for the Gatewood is 8oz and $120— nearly as much as the Gatewood at 11oz and $135.

I looked at light bivies and got a Titanium Goat Ptarmigan with the head end insect screen at 4.8oz and retailing for $100 (I got min used). I can use the bivy for cowboy camping and with my poncho as well as the Gatewood. It is lighter and far easier to deploy, simply needing a cord to keep the mesh off my face if desired. I don't do much hot weather camping and the bivy does give an extra layer of protection for the cool wet camping that is more typical for me. It allows a slightly lighter summer bag or extends the warmth of my shoulder season bag.

It doesn't have the room of a net inner and could be less comfortable in hot weather.

My $0.02

Anonymous
    Inactive

" overkill?"

Depends on the location of your trip? Btw, do you bivy users experience any appreciable condensation on your bag from using the bivy?

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

>>Btw, do you bivy users experience any appreciable condensation on your bag from using the bivy?

Yep. That was (only) one of the reasons why I went to a ZPacks Duplex :)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools