Topic

BPL standardised stove testing system

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear BPL standardised stove testing system

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Locale: Pigeon House Mt from the Castle

I would like to propose a BPL standardised stove testing system; using Metric.

Volume in Litres and mls, Mass in Kilograms and grams, and Temperature degrees Celsius.

With two standard volumes 0.5 l for small pots and 1 l of water for larger pots.

The US pint 0.47318 l, the UK pint 0.56826 l. 1 oz of fuel could mean volume 0.029574 l or 0.028413 l or mass 28.3495 grams. confusing!!!

Tony

ke wu

@asidesign

Locale: Block seven

This is a very good proposition, I think it has very good compatibility in the different country.

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

Tony, as an engineer and an American living overseas of course I agree with you, the "SI" system is drop dead simple; and you can do many calculations in your head. The basis of the system is that 1 cubic centimeter of water weighs 1 gram.

The US and a few other countries are the only holdouts still sticking with the Imperial system.

Since BPL is an international site lets have all offical BPL test results reported only in the metric system? It's simple to learn, for those who have not.

ian wright

@ianwright

Locale: Photo - Mt Everest - 1980

I'm old enough that I use both systems as it suits me but the metric system is lightyears ahead and so international. (Australia went metric in the 60's or 70's)

I have this theory that the one big thing that stops America going metric is NFL ! All those stats in feet and inches !

Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

I would like to thank Ke Wu, Brett and Ian for their support on this issue. I am disappointed that there has been no comment from forum users living the US.

I am also old enough to know both systems UK Imperial and metric,I still do some work in Imperial measurement. Australia went metric in the early 1970’s I started my machining apprenticeship in Imperial and finished it in metric. I did my Mechanical Engineering in SI and I understand what Brett is saying about simplicity. I work in science and that uses SI world wide.

I get very frustrated when I read a report on a MYOG stove only to read some of the measurements in metric and some in US, it is so easy to use metric. It is nice to see that the BPL stoves editor Roger Caffin uses metric units as the basis of his testing.

Zen stoves have a very good conversion site. http://zenstoves.net/Calculator.htm

Tony

Arapiles .
    BPL Member

@arapiles

Locale: Melbourne

Roger uses SI because he's in Canberra (and he's a scientist)!

By the way, I just spent a year in the UK and they're slowly, and unofficially, switching to metric because that's what the EU uses – but you get odd mixes, like petrol is sold in litres but cars still have odometers in miles … so I was trying to work out my fuel usage in miles per litre …. or litres per 100 miles …

Neil Bender

@nebender

As long as tooling and capital equipment and durable goods come in legacy units the old units will be around and comfortable to many. That's why beer around the world comes in 355 mL cans. The tooling to make 12 oz cans prevails.

That's my 2-stones worth.

Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Roger lives in Sydney I live in Canberra

Tony

Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Hi Neil,

Beer in Australia used to be in 13 Imperial fluid ounces cans it now comes in 375 mL cans just to be different.

Tony

ian wright

@ianwright

Locale: Photo - Mt Everest - 1980

Years ago I had to paint a huge sign on the side of a building in Sydney, the artwork had a grid drawn on it and 1cm equalled 1ft ! Figure that one out !

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

My understanding is that only three countries in the world still haven't officially adopted the metric system: Burma, Liberia, and USA. Dammit, we are NOT going to let Burma or Liberia win this race to the last!

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I find the geographical position of those three countries quiet disturbing. They are in three different continents and almost exactly equidistant. Is there a plot in the making ?
    I am going to compare some of the numbers involved with the measurements of the Great Pyramid, (not the Alphamid) to see if I can establish the exact time of the return of the Antichrist, or SI as you call it.
    Franco

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools