Topic

What tent/shelter to buy?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) What tent/shelter to buy?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Pablo 2000
    BPL Member

@pablo2000

So I currently have an MSR hubba hubba which I was planning on hiking SOBO JMT this July with my girl… Its looking now like a solo trip :-)
    I need advice on a 2#ish shelter combo, or tent. I do want bug protection, and would prefer a double wall due to condensation. Not sure if I'll be taking my trekking poles, but would consider if they were needed for the shelter.

robert van putten

@bawana

Locale: Planet Bob

Yer gonna get a million answers as everyone chimes in with there favorites.
    – Which is exactly what I'm gonna do –

This is my solo tent, a TT Squall 2.

Squall 2

http://www.tarptent.com/squall2.html

I can't say enough good things about it. About as roomy as you'll get with a two pound tent, ( good enough for two ) very easy to set up, and very weather worthy. I've had it through a real humdinger of a storm once, had to pitch it in a howling wind after dark that night ( easy to do, nail in the back stake and let the tent unroll itself downwind! ) and stayed perfectly comfy and dry.

My wife and I use the three man version, the Rainshadow 2, when we hike together and have taken it on quite a few trips. I think the two man version the Squall 2, is even more weather worthy.

It is a trekking pole tent, but you need only one and an optional pole is 4 ounces. Heh, I don't use poles either and I've used some pretty odd ball ways to support the front of the tent including taping a screwdriver to a shovel!
    – So I did indeed break down and buy the optional pole!

Charles P
    Spectator

@mediauras

Locale: Terra

Yeah, you're going to get a lot of answers, and very good ones. Likely the Tarptent Moment will get a few nods. Its a good shelter. And check out the Six Moon Designs Skyscape Scout/ Trekker. I tried both but ended up with the Big Sky Mirage 1P. I liked the headroom and roomy dual vestibules it offered, and the fact it came seam sealed and ready to go. And, if you don't carry trekking poles (like me) its pretty light for a 1P, without sacrificing durability. Good luck, and have fun!

Paul Hatfield
    BPL Member

@clear_blue_skies

The answer is going to depend a lot on whether you want to taking trekking poles, how much your trekking poles weigh, how much interior room you desire, whether a single wall is acceptable, and other personal preferences. The common recommendations such as

Tarptent
    Lightheart Gear
    Big Agnes
    GoLite
    etc.

are all excellent products.

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

You might expand your list to include things you like in a tent beyond light weight, double wall and bug protection.

For example- do you like side entry over front entry? This one is huge for me, personally. I have a BA Fly Creek UL2 but wish I had gone with a side entry tent instead. Turns out I hate the contortions of getting in and out of a front entry tent. If I were shopping right now, I'd get a side entry tent.

bayden cline
    Spectator

@pyro_

What kind of price range are you looking at? Might give a better idea for recomendations

I was happy with my big Agnes fly creek ul2 last summer Was right around 2.5# packed. Was nice that it was freestanding as well. Would call it a 1.5 person tent though you could fit another person in there if you needed to.

His year I will be going out with one of the zpacks tents and it will be interesting to see how I like it since I have always had freestanding tents in he past

Pablo 2000
    BPL Member

@pablo2000

I'm really just open to suggestions, if I take my poles the pair is 15oz. (I have a sneaking suspicion if I decide to bring my poles they will remain strapped to my pack)I would prefer a side entry but would compromise due to weight. Single wall would suffice if I had good air flow, and pitch options.

I'm researching the Tarptent Contrail at the moment, havent found too many reasons not to go that route. My only ultimate concern would be durability, its the JMT this year but hope to do the balance of the PCT eventually.

bayden cline
    Spectator

@pyro_

I also don't use poles much though will normally have one with me in case it is needed. I will be picking up a couple of carbon fiber poles for my new tent to use with it. They come in around 2oz each from what I am seeing so that might be an option for you if the tent you pick needs poles

David Ure

@familyguy

If you are taking trekking poles, consider the Tarptent Notch. There really isn't a better trekking pole supported 3 season shelter on the market.

Paul Hatfield
    BPL Member

@clear_blue_skies

Since it sounds like the trekking poles would be 15 ounces of wasted weight, I think the Tarptent Moment DW would be a great option, since it doesn't rely on trekking poles.

The Six Moon Designs Skyscape Scout/Trekker, Big Sky Mirage 1P, and Lightheart Gear SoLong 6 are all hybrid (part single wall/part double wall) shelters.

J Dos
    BPL Member

@damager

Locale: Redwoods of Santa Cruz Mts

+1 on the Tarptent Notch. I borrowed a friend's Notch for several trips last year and finally bought my own about 3 weeks ago. As Dave said, I have not found a better 3-season shelter when everything is taken into consideration: ease of set-up, weight, price, function, versatility, dual vestibule, double-wall, dual entry, etc).

There are many reviews on BPL regarding Tarptent, and I never remember coming across a complaint in regards to durability. I'm not saying there are no complaints, just that I have never read one.

One caveat: I hike with trekking poles. And the Notch does require trekking poles.

h h

@yh001

Locale: New England

count me in as a +1 for a tarptent. my wife and i love ours!

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

The rider for Bike Grease and Coffee used a tarptent from Maine to South America. I think he's in Argentina now…

Durability is fine.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

I agree with Dave, as long as you are carrying trekking poles it's hard to beat the Notch.

Pablo 2000
    BPL Member

@pablo2000

Everyone seems to lean towards the Notch, however it seems that the Contrail would be better in weather/wind with its ability to pitch lower when needed. I do quite a bit of camping at elevation and it can get quite gusty at times.

Anyone have experience with both, or with the Notch in winds? I must say that I'm attracted to the simplicity of the Contrail as well.

David Ure

@familyguy

Yes, I have had both. The Notch is not as susceptible to changes in wind direction. In addition, it is far more stable in wind with the two pole set up and additional tensioners for guy lines at each pole side (requires 2 more pegs). With the semi partial solid inner tent, I would use it in shoulder season snow.

The Contrail has more room inside the living area.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

>> additional tensioners for guy lines at each pole side (requires 2 more pegs) <<

I use the same peg for the additional guy outs, so no additional pegs are required. The additional guy lines add stability and let you roll up both sides of the vestibule for ventilation.

David Ure

@familyguy

"I use the same peg for the additional guy outs, so no additional pegs are required."

Me too so I am not sure why I said that.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

David U, you "had" the notch? Why don't you have it anymore?

David Ure

@familyguy

No, still have a Notch John. I had the mesh inner version but now have the semi solid version, which I prefer.

I should have been clearer, thanks.

Paul Hatfield
    BPL Member

@clear_blue_skies

Since you don't wish to carry trekking poles, the Moment DW is the lightest of the Tarptent options, plus it has the advantage over the Contrail of being double wall.

Moment DW -> 34 oz
    Contrail 27.5 + 7.5 -> 35 oz
    Notch 26 + 15 -> 41 oz

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

At Tarptent we have solid "substitute" poles at 4 oz each for the Contrailor Notch.
    They are 0.490in / 12.4mm in diameter (45" high for the above)
    Under Extras, second page "Vertical Support Poles" ($14 each)
    See the comparison with the standard poles :
    poles apart
    franco@tarptent

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Notch 27.5 + 3.8 -> 31.3 (Seam sealed, semi-solid inner with extra guy-outs)

My poles (Henry's standard offering) are only 3.8 oz a set.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools