Topic

Packraft Strap bag

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Packraft Strap bag

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jon Holthaus
    BPL Member

@t25hatch

I'm fortunate enough to have a great five mile river section that has some class I-II river that is 20 minutes from my office, and when weather allows, myself and a few others from the office (who as well have packrafts) can blow out around five o'clock and make the approx. two hour trip. Said river is dam controlled so it stays runnable about 350 days a year, which allows for a lot of trips, however I was never really happy with a 10L dry bag strapped to boat, as it tends to bounce around.

I like alpacka's solution for a front pocket, however it for one it is outside my price range, and two it lacks the top daisy's that that I like to add some shock cord for strapping any additional items to it since I'm covering the front tie straps. A simple 8" long water resistant #5 zip coil on 200psi water repellent VX21 is large enough to to get anything in and out without fuss, but not too big to make a huge gap when unzipped in sitting duck position, hence the location of zipper in top of pocket.

Top2

Side

Side 2

Front

Total volume is 15L and total weight is 4.2 oz. We will see if it stays as is but right now it seems like a nice solution.

As a side (well stern) bonus, a simple strap and strap sleeve on a soft sided cooler, after finding the correct angle, I've found a way to keep the cooler upright and was lucky to find a cooler with the zipper operable from the sitting position.

Cooler1

Cooler2

By keeping the cooler on stern, any condensation or ice melt, no extra water is introduced into boat. Any questions feel free to fire.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

By keeping the cooler on the stern access to beer is increased ; )

Good looking stuff. The forward storage bag you built could double as a backpack lid if such a project were ever undertaken.

Jon Holthaus
    BPL Member

@t25hatch

Very astute observation about the cooler location, didn't even cross my mind :)

Pack lid idea is great, didn't even cross my mind. I like that a lot. Thanks for the comment.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Build a packrafting-specific backpack with a remove-able lid suitable for use on day trips.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools