Topic

Total hammock newb wants to buy some SUL rope.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Total hammock newb wants to buy some SUL rope.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

I just purchased my first hammock, the grand trunk ultralight. Only cost me $20. I figure it can be multipurpose and act as a chair, blanket, and a hammock…

It came with some thick black rope, and some heavy iron S hooks. But its not enough rope to hang. Can I just run paracord through there? I'm going to REI tomorrow what type of rope should I get? Looking for cheap and light. I tried googling for 5 minutes but was overwhelmed.

J Mag

@goprogator

I would recommend checking out hammockforums.net. It will have everything you need to know.

If you REALLY want to learn hammock backpacking, go on youtube and look up "shug hammock" and watch his videos for noobs. They are very informative.

To answer your question directly, dynaglide is very light and strong enough to hold a hammock. However you will need to use polyester webbing (1" minimum, 1.5" is better) to actually go around the trees themselves.

michael levi

@m-l

I definitley dont have time to order anything online, was hoping to get some light rope locally.

D S
    BPL Member

@smoke

Get Amsteel if you can find it. And some 1" tree straps.

J Mag

@goprogator

In that case go to REI and either buy some Atlas straps or have them cut you two 8 ft lengths of polyester webbing to use as your tree straps. Then get amsteel if they have it (doubtful) or any other 'static' (non stretch) climbing grade rope.

If you are rushed for time your options are limited, but it is illegal to use rope around trees in state parks as it is very damaging to the trees themselves.

michael levi

@m-l

http://www.rei.com/product/716686/pmi-utility-cord-3mm

Thanks for the info, is this 3mm cord a good fit? How much ft. rope would you buy?

EDIT: Note Amsteel 7/64 is what I want eventually

michael levi

@m-l

Any local places to buy some SUL rope like amsteel or similar?

diego dean
    BPL Member

@cfionthefly

I get that you dont have much time, ive been there too. But hammock camping is not as simple as attaching rope to hammock and trees. Your going to harm the trees and most likely yourself in the process. It also could ruin hammock camping for the rest of us if a warden or official sees the damage.

Get over to hammockforums.net and the suspension forum. Sit down a take a good read and you will find what your looking for. Id take a tent if you have something planned immediately.

Steve K
    BPL Member

@skomae

Locale: northeastern US

The 3mm cord you are looking at *might* hold body weight but is not strong enough to rely on. Choose the 1" mil-spec webbing that REI sells by the foot (a lower density weave) — it's more than strong enough to hold your weight and a nice width to wrap around trees with minimal damage to bark.

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

in a pinch you can get some ratchet straps and use a dremel to saw off the hooks. this will leave you w/ a long piece of webbing w/ a hook in 1 end.

the paracord definitely won't hold your weight.

i don't know where you live, but if you have any kind of boat store or marina nearby they may have amsteel.

here are 2 online resources (1 west coast and 1 east coast) that will ship very fast…

west coast
    http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/hammock-suspension.html

east coast
    http://dutchwaregear.com/hammock-stuff/

Michael K
    BPL Member

@chinookhead

Like other have said have them cut some 1 inch webbing for you to use to wrap around a tree. Then, you can buy some accessory cord. The 3mm (non-dyneema cord) is not strong enough. You'll want at least 5mm cord. You can also the Titan Dyneema 5.5 mm cord, which is definitely more than strong enough.

http://www.rei.com/product/782828/bluewater-55mm-titan-dyneema-accessory-cord-package-of-20-ft#specsTab

Paul Hatfield
    BPL Member

@clear_blue_skies

There are different hammock suspension options, but I think whoopie slings are a good way to start. What you would need is:

2 whoopie slings made out of 7/64" Amsteel
    2 toggles
    2 nylon or polyester 1-inch or wider pieces of webbing

Arrowhead Equipment has very good prices, and they sell kits.

Shug has a series of awesome videos on youtube:

Hammock Hangin' How-To Essentials For Noobs Parts 1 – 10

YouTube video

Derek M.
    BPL Member

@dmusashe

Locale: Southern California
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools