Topic

Trip Ideas – Utah or Western Colorado in June

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Trip Ideas – Utah or Western Colorado in June

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

I am looking to plan a 7+ day trip in early June. I'm currently in OR, but my hiking buddies are in AZ, so I was thinking we could meet in the "middle" – maybe somewhere in Utah or Western Colorado (although I suppose somewhere in California is also a possibility).

My goals for the trip are:

1. Be dog-friendly
    2. Allow for some fishing (i.e. backcountry lakes and rivers)
    3. Avoid snow (for the most part)

Being early June, I am wondering if there is anywhere that is likely to be snow-free but still have some lakes?

I spent a week in the Uintas in September last year and had an awesome time, so I was thinking of returning there. Does anyone have an idea of the current snow levels there? Last I read, Colorado was above average for snow this year.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

The Pecos in New Mexico might fit the bill for you. Close to Santa Fe (where I assume there is an airport). I was just up there (on snow shoes).

All that said I might stick with the Unitas, bigger area, and probably just as scenic if not more so.

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

Take a look at the SNOTEL snowpack graphs for the major basins in Colorado at http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nrcs/detail/co/snow/products/?cid=nrcs144p2_063323

You'll see that although statewide we're running at 115% of normal snowpack, much of the southern and southwest part of the state is currently running below normal, including San Juan, Animas, Dolores, San Miguel and Rio Grande basins. We're still 4-6 weeks from normal peak snowpack, so it's really too early to tell with certainty.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

I had actually considered the Pecos (it's been on my list for a couple years now), but I forgot to mention I don't want to fly, so it'd be a far drive from OR.

Thank you for the SNOTEL link. I will have to explore the various areas. The San Juans or Rio Grande areas could be good ideas.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

I've been doing some more research and came across the Emigrant Wilderness in CA. From looking at the map, it seems like many of the lakes are around 8000' – 9000'. Does anyone have an idea if these would be mostly snow-free by late May or early June?

I called the ranger's office for the Uintas. She said the Western side is having about average snow levels (meaning things won't clear up until about mid-June), but the Eastern side of the Uintas is below average and could be hike-able as early as Mid-May.

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

Sure – June is fantastic at the lower elevations in the sierra. Fish are hungry. So are mosquitoes. Lots of dog friendly places, and I think that might split the distance with your friend – maybe even better. 8000 ft is usually clear in June during a "nomal" year. Short of an act of God this year should be perfect.

Take a look at the Tahoe rim trail. But Emigrant has a ton of lakes and fishing opportunities, and much of it should be perfect (except for the aforementioned mosquitoes) by early June.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

Any guesses on the whether the mosquitos would be worse in mid May or June around the Emigrant Wilderness? May would be colder but June will probably be drier…

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

June and beginning of July are typically the worst, but I don't think you can predict it too precisly. They hatch when a temperature switch goes off. Some people have predicted that because of the low-snow winter they will be down this year, but I wouldn't count on it. Just bring a head net and use permethrin on the outside of your clothes.

They have never been a reason for me not to go. It is only if you are absolutely unprepared that they rise to a major annoyance. The good news is they will be asleep at night and in the morning when it is cold.

Sharon J.
    BPL Member

@squark

Locale: SF Bay area

Dogs love Emigrant!
    2011-10-10-StanislausNF 413

I haven't yet been there in May, though I was just north in the >Carson-Iceberg Wilderness over Memorial Day weekend 2012. Snow was negligible at 8000'.

A whole bunch of links to good weather info on the Sierra can be found in this thread:

http://www.highsierratopix.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=7778

Dean L
    Spectator

@aldoleopold

Locale: Great Lakes

Maybe the Boulder Mountain area of Utah would work. High forested plateau full of small lakes and streams. Check out BoulderMountainGuides.com

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

Thanks, Boulder Mountain looks pretty great. That is definitely an area I will keep in mind.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools