Topic

Deca Spades

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Deca Spades

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"A 9.5" SMC snow stake is a little over $1.50"

In some places, they cost even $1.95.

That is what I've been using for several years now.

–B.G.–

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

> I really like this piece

Looks great Gerald. I like that you are custom-sizing it to your hand. IMO you could drill quite a few more lightening holes at no noticeable reduction in strength.

> SMC snow stake … looks like it would do the exact same thing.

The spade portion on my current Deca is about 1.4x wider than the SMC snow stake at about 0.7 of the weight. But yes, they both dig, and that is the exact same thing.

If your time is worth nothing, then the Deca is 1/2 the cost. But if your time is worth anything at all, then the Deca is waaaay more expensive. I think my most recent attempt, version 1b, took me 2 hours total to make. I'll post it.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Version 1 of the Deca (first post) I found difficult to dig with. The curves on the handle were modeled after the Deuce of Spaces, which are very sinuous. The curving lines look good, but don't give a solid purchase on the narrower Deca, which is designed for hard desert soil. So I re-tooled my first spade, now "version 1b," giving it more of a "hilt" but leaving the subtle flared pommel untouched (I still prefer both the hilt and the pommel of v2). To improve grip I added jimping along the spine. Also increased the size of the deboss. Haven't been able to beat 0.7 ounce yet, and I really want to get it lower. So, will try again when the urge strikes.

.Deca1b

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Leave some blank space so that you can stamp in the serial number and expiration date. Then a bit more of blank space for a sticker that holds the firmware revision number.

I see the line going down the ridgeline. I suppose that is to improve the grip. It seems like it would make it easier to get an unintended bend on the ridgeline if you were trying to hammer this into some difficult dirt.

–B.G.–

Gerald L
    Spectator

@mtngeronimo

Locale: SoCal

Delmar, I noticed you removed the pommel on the latest version. I have now cut mine down 3/4" for a total length of 7 3/8" and removed the pommel as well since it seemed to be uncomfortable to the palm. You must have come to the same conclusion?

Edit: I just noticed you reworked V1 but stated you still prefer the design with the pommel. Disregard.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Right, I prefer the pommel on v2, but I had to reduce its radius quite a bit from the drawing I posted. It's now a nice rounded 3/16" radius and not sharp to the hand. For me, helps lock it into place. V1b above is not as easy for me to hold securely, although the jimping helps.

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools