Topic

Wind layer help!!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Wind layer help!!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Alex Herron
    Spectator

@alexherron

Locale: Front Range

Hi there! So excuse me if this thread is a little redundant over previous posts but I figured if your on this site you don't mind giving your two cents anyway ;)

So the next piece of gear I am looking to upgrade is my wind layer once I get the money for it.

Currently I have a thrift shop duo that come in at a not too shabby 6oz each. But after using the two a couple times I realize they are WONDERfully water resistant, but leave much to be desired in breath-ability. Plus it is currently the cheapest way to reduce my pack weight.
    Anyway I want a pretty breathable (10-20 cfm if thats the right units) maybe 5 if its really light, sub 3.5oz hoodless windbreaker. I was looking at the ghost whisperer and that looks pretty awesome (sub 2oz on sale at rei)But need decent breathablity and strong water resistance. I know those are acting against each other but a happy medium is what I am looking for. Same thing for some pants as well. And if they arent a million dollars that would be great! Haha sounds like a lot to ask for.

Peter Williams

@cook

Whatever you do, don't try the breathability test! You know, the one where you wrap the jacket around your head to see if you can breath through it. It is some kinda joke on the newbies. Almost killed myself at REI.
    Cook.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Lol @ Peter.

The Montbell Tachyon is close. CFM near 10 and weight is below 2oz. DWR isn't the best however.

Ryan

Alex Herron
    Spectator

@alexherron

Locale: Front Range

Yea I was looking at the tachyon for jacket and pants and it seems like potentially the best option weight and cost wise. Sorry to hear the dwr isn't that good. I've heard the Houdini line has very good water repellency but I am afraid of the breathabity.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

The tachyon jacket has mesh panels under the arms, its made for high output activity. The anorak doesnt.

Glenn S

@glenn64

Locale: Snowhere, MN

Tachyon anorak in large is 2.6 oz, but it also has a hood you said you didn't want (?).

If cost is a big factor, might have a read-thru of this thread on an off brand of under 3oz, under $15 wind jacket with full zip and stowable hood. I bought a blue one just to check it out and am waiting for delivery. I'll try and post a weight somewhere when it comes, as well as photo with a size comparison to a Tachyon large, because is one of those "asian sized" things.

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

I have a Tachyon anorak and its one the best pieces of gear I own.

DWR is perfectly fine for me, as is breathability. I've used it in really crappy Japanese weather all winter, snow, torrential freezing gale-blown rain, etc. In the rain it wets through, but has the right combo of windproofness, DWR and breathability for me that I stay perfectly warm and comfortable underneath. That's the trick. Maintaining body temperature just how you want it.

Sheds snow and frozen stuff perfectly.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools