Topic

PossumDown Glove Shell

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) PossumDown Glove Shell

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Craig S Stewart

@cstewart

Locale: Southwest Germany

Has anyone found a ultra-lightweight glove or mitten shell that would work well for protecting the PossumDown gloves from wind and snow.

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

Ourdoor Research has some rain mitts that work well. They are made of Goretex or something similar and are very light, about 1 oz.

Dan

Tony Burnett
    Spectator

@tlbj6142

Locale: OH--IO

I don’t believe OR makes their sub-2oz rain mitt/shell anymore. Is there a viable replacement?

I think Marmot makes a shell mitt, but it might be a bit heavier, than the old OR rain mitt.

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

if over-mitts are intended just for holding trekking poles and not for something requiring a more robust mat’l or dexterity, then simply using zip-locks, freezer bags, or some other type of poly-bag might suffice. i use them for such & remove them for short periods of time to erect a shelter, etc.

jacob thompson
    Spectator

@nihilist37

what about the mit shells in the BPL shop?

Richard Matthews

@food

Locale: Colorado Rockies

I carry a pair of rubber gloves in my first aid kit. They do fit over the possum down gloves and make them so warm it is uncomfortable.

I added them to my kit after rendering first aid and realizing how hard it is to avoid contact with the injured person’s blood.

The folks at the blood bank will give me a couple of pairs each time I donate.

Light and free a good combination.

Craig S Stewart

@cstewart

Locale: Southwest Germany

Thank you for the feedback everybody. Sadly OR appears to have taken their ultralight glove and mitten shells off the market. I believe these are the ones Doc Jordan has used. Marmot does make a shell glove but no weight is listed and they may be too heavy. The mitts in the BPL shop appear to be for severe cold and I mainly need them for 20-40 degree weather. I think maybe I will try a combination of a latex surgical glove under the PossumDown gloves as a vapor barrier to keep them from getting wet w/ sweat and perhaps something along the lines of what Paul has in mind to protect them from getting wet on the outside. When it is above freezing with no wind, rain or snow; the PossumDown gloves alone should be enough.

Mike Storesund

@mikes-1

I believe the only shell model Outdoor Research makes any more is the 3.2 oz/pair OR Rain Claw

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools