Topic

SOTM shoes for JMT-ish stuff

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) SOTM shoes for JMT-ish stuff

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

Yes I know sorry I know there's a bunch of threads on shoes, but I figured its time for a refresh with the latest stuff on the market.
    I'm still using merrell moab mids…and need to finally make the change to trail runners. Help!

What's everyone using these days?

Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

Inov-8 x-talon 190 for muddy/snowy stuff

Inov-8 f-lite 195 for steep and/or wet slabby type stuff

Salomon s-lab Sense for longer stuff

Edit: none of these are remotely new models. Just what I've found that I like personally. I've tried dozens of different models of shoes, but nothing new from the past couple of years. I'm happy for now.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

The most popular shoe out there for hiking today is probably the Brooks Cascadia. That doenst mean its good for you, or that its a great shoe. It may just be light, and readily available, and fit many people good enough.

Many BPL hikers would tend toward something more minimal.

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Sounds like the cascadias run narrow. :(
    Any comparable that are a bit wider?

Checking out those inov-8 options now…

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

What other people are wearing really means nothing – for you.
    Above all else, you should first find out what size and what width your feet are, and then quite ruthlessly look only at that size and larger.
    All else is suffering.

Cheers

Kevin S.
    BPL Member

@kstephens

I agree with others, there is no right answer for shoes – they are very much a personal preference. I wear brooks for running – but I am just a casual runner for fitness – 5 mile max. They did not work for longer use. I have an odd shaped foot, narrow heel, flatter arch, and wide forefoot. The brooks fit fine in the heel had a decent arch support, and were narrow in the forefoot. I tried New balance, and they were the opposite, although I prefer them for daily wearing, if I get an EE wide, the heel slips.

I am currently trying addidas AX1. They were 75% off after christmas when a local outdoor store was clearing out old inventory. Very good ventilation, decent arch support, narrow heel, and a little more roomy in the forefoot – although I had to go a 1.5 sizes up from my daily shoes. I only have about 40 trail miles, and so far they seem fine.

I still have yet to try Innov8, and they are next on my list to try.

Rick Reno
    BPL Member

@scubahhh

Locale: White Mountains, mostly.

They work well for me, mostly in NH and VT.

The toebox is wide; the soles are a good balance between grippy and durable (for me); and they drain well. They might run a little small and they are NOT barefoot-style; the have a 4 mm. drop. I get about half a season or maybe 500 miles out of them,and the soles seem to wear out before the uppers. The only real downside seems ot be the inner liners, whicha re great to ebgin with but don't last. I just replace dhtem whent hey got funky.

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Thanks guys.
    Yeah I know everyones feet are different…I think I'm just overwhelmed by all the options so I was hoping to narrow it down a bit.
    I can't seem to find a store around here that has a decent brooks or inov-8 selection.
    I'll keep lookin.
    -Chris

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

order from zappos or running warehouse. They both have free 2 day shipping and free return shipping. Try out all you like. Running warehouse also shows you how a shoe fits compared to what you may be currently wearing.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools