Topic

San Gabriel Valley folks, what are your favorite training hikes?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips San Gabriel Valley folks, what are your favorite training hikes?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Mitchell Ebbott
    Spectator

@mebbott-2

Locale: SoCal

I know there's a bunch of us on here! I'm doing the JMT this summer and really need to get in shape. Mt. Echo has been my go-to training hike, but I know there's a bunch more out there. What else is good within a 20 minute drive of Pasadena?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Trail or non-trail?

There are some good steep forest service roads at the east end, around Lytle Canyon.

–B.G.–

Mitchell Ebbott
    Spectator

@mebbott-2

Locale: SoCal

Good question. Trails are good for quick conditioning hikes but I enjoy trailless routes a lot more.

Lytle Canyon is out east of Cucamonga, right, in the San Bernardino National Forest?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Yes.

About a hundred of us were in there two weeks ago conducting a bighorn sheep survey, and that is where the animals thrive. It kind of makes a training hike more worthwhile when you can see some good wildlife.

–B.G.–

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Step up your Echo Mtn. hike to include Inspiration Point via Castle Canyon. If you want even more, tack on Mt. Lowe.

Don A.
    BPL Member

@amrowinc

Locale: Southern California

As Craig mentions there are a lot of options beyond Echo. 3 routes up to inspiration point (and three routes back) making for 9 different semi-loops. Combine the hike with an overnight stay at Mt. Lowe trail camp to test your gear if needed.
    Henninger Flats is short but steep and you can continue on to Mt. Wilson to get your heart going or you could drop into Idlehour Trail camp for a lunch by the year round creek.
    Chantry flats offers a variety of hikes of various lengths and difficulty. The upper Winter Creek trail to Mt. Wilson and return on the Sturtevant trail(about 16 miles).
    The Mt. Wilson trail out of Sierra Madre to Mt. Wilson and back is another.

Further out, past your 20 minute limit but not by much is the Mt. Baldy area with a variety of trails, then further is the Lytle Creek area.

If you really want trailess adventures just step off any trail and start bushwacking through the poison oak, poddle dog bush and rattlesnake dens. I'm too old for that stuff anymore.:-)

I would suggest getting the Harrison Angles Front Country Trail Map and the Angeles High County Trail Map.

Hey Bob, I was on that Sheep count (up Stoddard Canyon). Sorry I didn't now you were part or it or I would have hunted you down.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"Hey Bob, I was on that Sheep count (up Stoddard Canyon). Sorry I didn't now you were part or it or I would have hunted you down."

I was down there with a friend. We had pre-decided to go on one of the tougher survey routes. But then the rainy weather kind of burst our bubble. We were on the South Fork Lytle Creek route since some of the others were cancelled due to the fog. I reported my trip here a couple of weeks ago. Good sheep.

We were surprised that they let us across the border between Northern California and Southern California.

–B.G.–

Don A.
    BPL Member

@amrowinc

I missed that report Bob. I'll look it up. We got up to the viewing areas and clouds rolled in over the top of us. The best sheep viewing I've had is when I wasn't out there to count them.

Very funny about crossing the No. Cal. So. Cal border. We're a friendly lot down here and have a sizable quota for visitors from up north.

Don

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"The best sheep viewing I've had is when I wasn't out there to count them."

The best sheep viewing we had on March 2 was when we gave up because of the fog and started the hike out. Then ten of them ran across the trail in front of us, but I was able to photograph only a few.

–B.G.–

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

"We were surprised that they let us across the border between Northern California and Southern California."

Bob, I thought we had made an agreement several years ago…

"Nick, how about you keep an eye on the bighorns south of Highway 58, and I will keep an eye on the bighorns north of Highway 58?"

:)

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Nick, that's easy.

I never actually crossed Highway 58.

Besides, I didn't think you were watching them, except for ones out by Palm Springs.

–B.G.–

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

"Besides, I didn't think you were watching them, except for ones out by Palm Springs."

Yes, your are correct. I don't go up where you were much these days. Too many people and too much traffic to get there. Saw a nice herd up in the Mojave Preserve a few weeks ago, but didn't take any pictures. They were too far away for my point and shoot camera.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"They were too far away for my point and shoot camera."

Oh, I know how to fix that.

Mojave Preserve? That doesn't nail it down very closely.

Sierra Nevada bighorns tend to be a little larger than desert bighorns, and I think they herd a little differently.

–B.G.–

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools