Topic

MERINO Wool durability?Bugs that eat holes in it in 2 days?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) MERINO Wool durability?Bugs that eat holes in it in 2 days?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    dave e
    BPL Member

@hipass

Locale: Los Angeles

i put a merino shirt on gear swap 2 days ago.The shirt was in excellent condition and in the pictures i cannot see the holes.Today i noticed it had 6 holes in the front.These holes are up to 10mm long and some look like snags.I stored it in a plastic bag.Any ideas?

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

moths are notorious for doing this to wool.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

I have almost all wool in my wardrobe. I own three LS shirts, one T-shirt, a dress shirt, and a sweater. The oldest one is now 3 years old. None have holes from moths.

I have bought a shirt on Gear Swap that had holes from moths. They're about 1mm wide. Moths will do this in just a few days.

Your best bet is to use a sealed bag like a Zip-Lok Freezer and de-moth your house with moth balls or a similar natural deterrent. You almost definitely have bugs. Not everyone does- I don't, and I live in Massachusetts.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

It's pretty rare that I see a moth in my house these days, but then again I have been told I sleep with my mouth open…. :0

dave e
    BPL Member

@hipass

yes i have seen moths on occasion in my room…but this shirt was only out for 36hours and it was in a plastic bag-not ziplock…heres the only picture i have of the shirt just 2days ago…on a horizontal level the holes are 2-4inches below arm pit level,on a vertical level the holes are on either side of the neck…i have tried zooming in to see the holes but cant…t

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

If the shirt is laying on top of itself as shown, the material underneath the hole will be identical to a shirt with no holes. They'll be very difficult to see in the picture.

From what you described, they're moth holes. If you see moths in your room, you have moths. No answer will take the holes out of your shirt.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

If you see moths flying in your house, they probably aren't clothes moths, but pantry pests — the type that infests flour and grains. Clothes moths don't like light and are so secretive that you'll probably never see them. What's more, the adult moths won't do any harm. Damage to woolens is actually done by the larvae of two types of insects: clothes moths and carpet beetles.Both insects lay eggs in secluded spots with plenty of food — wool, fur, down, shed pet dander, and other animal-based materials.Moth and beetle larvae shun bright light, so they rarely attack frequently worn clothing or heavily trafficked carpets.Before you pack up winter clothing for storage, wash or dry-clean garments that have been worn. This rids them of moth and beetle eggs and also eliminates perspiration remnants and food spills, which attract and nourish pests. Moths and beetles don't eat items made of synthetic or cotton fabrics, but you should clean those, too, if you store them with woolens.You won't likely see clothes moths, but if you find holes, you know you have a problem.Remove and treat all infested material. You might throw away the most damaged clothing. Dry-clean or launder items you keep; freezing also eradicates pests: Put items in sealed plastic bags, squeeze out air, and freeze for a few days. Take the bags out, let them return to room temperature, and then repeat. In case of condensation, let clothes air out before storing again.

dave e
    BPL Member

@hipass

yeah im bummed…when i took it out to try on today the holes were very noticeable,so much so there was no way i wouldnt have noticed them 2 days ago when i was taking pics….unreal.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools