Topic

Cabela’s Guidwear Flats Cap

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Cabela’s Guidwear Flats Cap

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    John Coyle

@bigsac

Locale: NorCal

Just wanted to mention this baseball style hat I bought at the Reno Nevada Cabela's store. They also had some nice nylon zip-off hiker pants for $69.99 (I think) which I would have bought if they would have had the right size. They seemed nicer than some of the ones at REI, except they were a little baggy, but then any pants are baggy on me because I have bird legs.

Some hikers like this style of hat and some don't, but it's more packable that a wide brimmed hat, and a baseball style hat works with a hood. This one has all the bells and whistles at a decent price of $24.99 American. It has a huge bill, a cape that snaps on in front and folds back into the hat when not needed, a cinch cord to tighten it on your head, mesh on the side for ventilation, and a lanyard with clip to prevent it from blowing off your head. If you like this style of hat, I don't think a hiker could do better than this one at this price. I bought a light tan one.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

The weight, good sir?

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

two pints
    Spectator

@madgoat

Locale: Ohio

I was close to buying one of these because it seemed so versatile. The largest size was almost too big for my 7-1/2" head, which is a rare occurrence indeed.

I ended up not getting it though. The bill was a bit too big for my taste…. though I understand why. But the kicker was the giant GUIDEWEAR logo on the bill. I'm not the kind of guy that buys product that says "I'm an expert, look at me." It's screen printed on the bill, so you could probably worry at it with a pocketknife to free it of its silly logo.

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

I second that on the weight. I found an E.B. summer hat and once I pulled the daisy chain off and swapped the shoe lace strap and cord lock for something more reasonable, I got it to 73g.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools