Topic

BPL Titanium 500 or 550

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support Website & Forum Support BPL Titanium 500 or 550

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Bill B
    BPL Member

@bill123

My new cookpot has 550 printed on it's side. In different places, the website says both 500 & 550. This should be corrected.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Methinks the current Firelight "500" is an entirely different animal, except for the lid — and BPL has neglected to update its specs!

Per BPL website:

Dimensions (height x dia.): 3.75 x 2.75 in (70 x 95 mm)
    Total Weight: 2.8 oz (79 g)
    Pot Only Weight: 2.4 oz (67 g)
    Lid Only Weight: 0.4 oz (12 g)
    Volume: 17.5 fl oz (500 ml)

Per my measurements:

Dimensions (height x dia.): 3.125 x 3.625 (pot bottom)
    Dimensions (height x dia.): 3.125 x 3.875 (lid)
    Total Weight: 2.4 oz
    Pot Only Weight: 2.0 oz
    Lid Only Weight: 0.4 oz
    Volume: 18.6 fl oz (550 ml)

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I should add that I am much happier with the new pot. Not only does the lid fit well — the new pot is also lighter, and its wider/squatter dimensions make it more a more efficient pot for my alcohol stove.

Richard Nelridge
    Spectator

@naturephoto1

Locale: Eastern Pennsylvania

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the update. After reading about the Brasslite 600 Titanium mug here at BPL I was considering purchasing this as a smaller cookpot. I felt that the BPL FireLite 500 Titanium cookpot due to its volume and shape was not as much to my liking. However, after reading this information, and Ben's comments and measurement information I ordered the new BPL FireLite 550 Titanium cookpot. I intend to use the pot with both alcohol stoves (possibly the Caldera in the future) and the FireLite Titanium Esbit Wing stove.

Rich

James Loy
    BPL Member

@jimbluz

Locale: Pacific NW

I just received my pot with handles today. I must have gotten one of the old ones as the lid fits very poorly. It even looks warped. At any rate, I consider it unacceptable. Hope everyone else has better luck than I.

Bill B
    BPL Member

@bill123

I'm moving this to the following thread:
    Forum Index » The G Spot » FireLite 500 Specs in Error

Benjamin,
    My 550 has the same dimensions, but it weighs 1.9 oz w/ lid and 1.4 oz w/o lid. I'm not trying to rub it in, that just seems like a large difference for such a light item.

Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana

Hey all – it looks like the FireLite 500 was changed over to the 550. I'm in the process of confirming this, but I just wanted to let you all know we are aware of the discrepancy and are working on clearing it up. Thanks!
    Addie
    BPL Customer Service

Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Jim, if your pot is faulty, please process an RMA – we don't want you to be dissatisfied with our goods. Alternately, I can send you a replacement lid. Drop me a line in the customer service interface, or call at 888.362.0999, ext 102. I'd be more than happy to make sure YOU are happy too.

Stephen Boyd

@sim

Locale: Minnesowtah

So now it appears that the 550 made a disappearing act???

Steve

Richard Nelridge
    Spectator

@naturephoto1

Hi Steve,

Having spoken with Addie earlier today, we believe that BPL has a mix of both the 500 and 550 Ti pots. All of the boxes are sealed. Addie has suggested if need be she can break the seals. She suspects that they have more of the 550 than the 500 Ti pots. We suspect that the 500 versions were corrected original versions and that the maker then made the revision to the 550.

I believe that my pot is expected to arrive tomorrow and Addie thinks it is more likely that I will be receiving the 550. I will update tomorrow providing it arrives.

Rich

Andrew King

@drewboy

Locale: Arizona

I have one of the original Firelite 500's that was purchased right at the time they first came out at BPL. This had the ill fitting lid, and later on I received a corrected lid from BPL free of charge. Richard, just for my own clarification is it yours and Addie's opinion that these first-batch originals were 550's which were then changed to 500's in an attempt to fix the lid (or some other) issue, and then were subsequently changed back to 550's in the most recent production runs? BTW, I recently purchased on-line the Caldera Cone stove system for the 500 and am now wondering if I am getting a stove that is correctly fitted to my cooking mug. I will measure capacity of my mug when I get a chance and post the results here. I'll also evaluate the stove compatibility with the 500 when it arrives.

Edit: I just measured my mug capacity and 16oz fills it almost right up to the rim. It appears that I have a "500" size mug. There is no 500/550 labeling on the side at all.

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

I've got one of the original 500's and purchased a caldera cone for it recently. It fits perfect.

Andrew King

@drewboy

Locale: Arizona

That's great to hear, thanks for the feedback.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Andrew:

The newer batch (the one that I have) specifies "550" next to the word "Titanium". Its capacity is about 19oz. when filled to the brim.

Wonder if these new 550's will work with the caldera's designed for the older 500's???

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

Ben,
    I measured my original 500 to your 550 measurements and it looked like the width was the same but the 550 is a bit taller.

Richard Nelridge
    Spectator

@naturephoto1

My FireLite Titanium Pot just arrived and unfortunately it is one of the older 500 pots with an ill fitting lid. I have a call in to Addie.

Rich

Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Hey all- we appreciate your concern, and the dust-up in the warehouse yesterday was pretty entertaining. Apparently, the manufacturer switched the specs on the latest order to arrive (FireLite 550s), and we did not catch it. They are phasing out the original pots (FireLite 500s). Unfortunately, our new and old stock got mixed together, creating this mass of confusion.

We're putting our stock of the 500s back on the site. The 550s will be up in the next day or two as a completely different product. Since the 500s are a closeout, here is a coupon you can use for 30% off both pots, whether handled or handle-less: firelite500

If you got a 550, but wanted a 500, please create an RMA and return the 550, then order a 500. If you got a 500, but wanted a 550, please do the same.

The Caldera Cones we have in the warehouse (which will be available for purchase next week) fit the 500 pots. We will have new Cones made for the 550s, and I do not have an ETA for those at this time.

We are sorry for tizzy – it really threw us for a loop too, and we had to open and check every single pot in inventory before I had any news for you. I'll monitor this forum for questions, but any RMA questions need to be asked in the support issue interface, please.

Thanks for being so diligent on checking up on us!
    Addie

Sam .

@samurai

Locale: NEPA

>"Wonder if these new 550's will work with the caldera's designed for the older 500's???"

Ben,
    I ordered the cone from AGG and the answer was yes. It fit perfectly.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Thanks, Sam.

Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Hey all – the FireLite 500s are now on close out, and the FireLite 550s are up and running. The coupon mentioned above no longer applies, as they are now under the umbrella of the closeout coupon. Thanks!

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

"Hey all – the FireLite 500s are now on close out, and the FireLite 550s are up and running. The coupon mentioned above no longer applies, as they are now under the umbrella of the closeout coupon. Thanks!"

Wow… the handless ones dissapeared pretty darn fast…

btw – those BPL 550s sans handle are now ALMOST as light / oz (or even as light) as as the SPBOWL. Of course the SPBowl still doesn't have a factory lid. Given the geometry advantages of the bowl, those must be pretty thin walls on the pot. Very impressive. I'll likely get one in the future.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools