Topic

New NeoShell jacket

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New NeoShell jacket

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    hwc 1954

@wcollings

Got a chance to wear the new NeoShell jacket I picked up Backcountry's clearance sale.

Marmot Nabu Neoshell jacket description

Marmot Nabu Neoshell jacket photo

Wore it out snow shovelling. 15 degrees with a 20 mph wind. I don't think I'll wear it hiking much as it's pretty heavy at 22 ounces. But, it's a really nice softshell. Slightly stretchy fabric. Great hood with front and back adjusters.

Two chest pockets — one outside, one inside. Two backpack-compatible hand pockets.

The nice thing is that this isn't a heavily lined jacket. Just the outer fabric, bonded to the membrane, bonded to a Polartec PowerDry HE lining. Basically the same material as the Capilene 4 baselayer, but the grids are not fleeced. The quality of the Polartec fabrics on this jacket is fantastic. I hate fleecy liners on winter jackets because I'm usually wearing them over a powerstretch fleece and like something that slides a bit easier.

Inner fabric photo

Definitely a teeny bit breathable compared to a GoreTex ProShell. I could feel a bit of the cold wind through the jacket. So, that's a plus for something like snow shovelling (or hiking). Compared to a ProShell, it's 6 ounces heavier, probably a bit warmer (on a non-windy day), and stretchy. The ProShell is a rain shell. This is a waterproof soft shell. Probably be an awesome ski jacket.

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

Is that GTX ProShell or (the new) Pro ?

hwc 1954

@wcollings

The Marmot Nabu jacket is Polartec's NeoShell membrane. It's some kind of spun or woven PU membrane that is 10,000 mm waterproof and just slightly air permeable.

The Gore-Tex shell I have is a Gore-Tex ProShell, not the new "Pro" membrane. It is an awesome heavy duty 15 ounce rain shell. Not breathable but 100% waterproof and windproof. Great jacket when it's raining sideways.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools