Topic

anyone use these stakes?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) anyone use these stakes?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

$6.23 for 5 of them with free shipping.
    I'm thinking about ordering some and trying them out.
    If they are junk, well then I didn't spend that much.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/300774904566?lpid=82

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"These aluminum needle tent stake are light but really strong and hooks really well"

… but if they are 6061 of unknown temper, they are junk.

I have tried a couple of "unspecified" products from china, and although they looked good out of the box, they failed quickly.

YMMV.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

You know how if you camp around in enough places, eventually you will find stuff left behind by some previous camper? I've found more of these skinny stakes than anything else. I'm not sure what that means. It could mean that they are easily lost, or it could mean that they are easily tossed.

–B.G.–

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

I've used the MSR version of this style, they are excellent. But cheap knock offs like the others say might be made of less ideal material and may fail easily.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

"FREE ePacket delivery from China"

There's your sign.

Spend the extra $ for MSR.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I think I'll pass on them. I need some new stakes for a trip coming up soon and shipments from china can be super slow.

And I really don't like buying junk gear, even if it's cheap.

Thomas Rayl
    BPL Member

@trayl

Locale: SE Tx

As Adam noted, these appear to be clones of the MSR needle stakes. I have used the MSR version and found them to be good but of limited holding power. I have had these stakes pull loose in soft soil. They are, however, lightweight & compact. I can recommend the MSR version; these…????? Personally, I don't use them now. After a few "let go's", I stepped up to the MSR groundhog stakes. These are, granted, a bit bigger/heavier, but they RARELY pull loose. Both are straight (as opposed to "shepherd's crook" stakes) and can be hammered into tough soils. The bright red color makes them pretty easy to see & retrieve, too. And the Y-shaped groundhogs even hold pretty well in sand on the river bank (canoe camping). Good luck & if you decide to try the ones mentioned, please share your results.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I'm a big fan of the Ruta Locura carbon stakes: http://rutalocura.com/Tent_Stakes.html

I used to use the Groundhogs but replaced them with 9" version above for a significant weight savings. I've been carrying 8 of them for the past year for use first on my Notch and now on my ZPacks Duplex. I am surprised that they show no signs of damage even though they have be scraped past rocks many times on the way into the ground. They hold great and are about the same weight as TI shepherd hook stakes. I tied and glued a small loop of Triptease around each right under the head to facilitate removal and make them easy to see. If I know I will be in very rocky soil, I throw a few shepherds hooks in the bag for insurance.

Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

The MSR version of these are my favorite stakes. I was sorry to see them be discontinued. I like them so much that I bought a bunch of the MSR ones to hoard for future use.

That said I have no idea of the material quality of these particular ones. If I needed some I'd take a chance since they are cheap enough to risk it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools