Topic

best solar charger right now? march 14″

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) best solar charger right now? march 14″

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Any out there that are really good? Not too expensive, sub ,$150, ligtweight.

Should I get some sort of usb battery brick? I Will need the juice, nothing to crazy, my goal is lightweight.

I am really not wanting to spend hours teaching myself about these and reading reviews.

Dave Marcus
    BPL Member

@djrez4

Locale: Rocky Mountains
    Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

When I looked into this two years ago, I learned the flex panels which roll were considerably less efficient than the rigid panels. Is this still the case?

Brian Mix
    BPL Member

@aggro

Locale: Western slope, Sierra Nevada

I've carried a stick battery for a while now and to get capacity they are heavy. What I recently found for my phone (you didn't specify what the needed power was for)I can get two Samsung batteries and a small wall charger they snap into for lighter than the stick batteryand cheaper too. It might be best to search for additional batteries.

Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

Locale: Midwest -or- Rockies

I am still testing the Bushnell charger, but thus far have found it to be decent. Simply leaving it on the dash of my truck in the super cold temps we have been having…and not watching to see how much sun it had really been getting all day…I have had it average about 17% recharge on my iPhone sitting from about 11AM until it was getting dark near 5PM. Not to shabby of performance with winter sun, possibly some UV blocking of my windshield and 20 some degree temps.

HTH

KJ

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Locale: SF Bay Area

Glass blocks a lot (90%+) of UV. However, I don't know that it matters for solar panels. IIRC there are panels that are mounted under glass panels from the factory.

Paul Hatfield
    BPL Member

@clear_blue_skies

Unless your trip is very long, a battery may be a more reliable and lighter option.

Of the solar chargers, the Goal Zero Guide 10 Plus has a good reputation.
    It's on amazon.com for $81.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Goal Zero seems like a good choice. A close friend of mine carries one when solo hiking in the Alps each summer. I have one for California.

However, you really have to get in touch with the power demands of your devices. Without that, you are just spinning your wheels.

For the smallest amount of device power, you are better off with a spare battery.

–B.G.–

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan
    Mario Caceres
    BPL Member

@mariocaceres

Locale: San Francisco

I’ve been testing the Powerfilm USB+AA coupled with Goal Zero’s “USB Smart Adapter” with good results. The “USB smart adapter” is an add-on that has been critical to use the Powerfilm on applications that otherwise would not have worked (i.e charging an Ipad Mini)

I like this set up because:

1) Is inexpensive: Powerfilm USB+AA ($ 70 @ Amazon) + GoalZero “USB Smart Adapter” ($4.79 @ Goal Zero)

2) It’s lightweight: 4.5oz for Powerfilm, 0.3oz for USB Smart Adapter, 2.2 oz (each set of Two standard AA rechargeable Batteries)

3) It’s Scalable. It works with standard AA rechargeable batteries not proprietary batteries like other alternatives. This has the advantage that I can bring as many batteries sets (1 set = two AA Batteries) as my outing requires. Basically every set provides me with 5400 mAh (2700 x 2) of renewable energy that I can recharge on the field.

4) It’s reliable. I have tested this in not ideal conditions (i.e overcast days, panels facing away from direct sun, etc) and at worst I have been able to get a full charge of the AA batteries in 5-6 hours.

bayden cline
    Spectator

@pyro_

My friends and I have been happy with our Limefuel USB batteries that we got last year. They have a number of models with different capacities depending on your needs. They are currently doing a kickstarter campain for a waterproof version

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Locale: SF Bay Area

"Basically every set provides me with 5400 mAh (2700 x 2) of renewable energy that I can recharge on the field."

USB is 5 volts and AAs are 1.5. So, you are getting less than 2700 mAh at 5 volts. Not a big deal, except when comparing it to other chargers.

Paul Hatfield
    BPL Member

@clear_blue_skies

These are specs from the manufacturers. They probably aren't very accurate. If bpl'ers can post actual weights, that would be great.

PowerFilm USB+AA
    1.5 Watts
    140 g

PowerFilm AA
    2.2 Watts
    224 g with 4 rechargeable AA batteries

SunTactics sCharger 5 Portable USB Solar Charger
    5.0 Watts
    227 g

Goal Zero Nomad 7
    7 Watts
    363 g

Goal Zero Guide 10 Plus Recharger
    181 g without batteries

Rechargeable AA batteries generally weigh 0.9 to 1.1 ounces.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Note that the specifications on solar panels can be misinterpreted, especially the wattage. The wattage rating is typically the absolute maximum wattage that the panel can produce in the very brightest and most direct sunlight, like in Nick Gatel's back yard. By the time you get out to an overcast day, you will be struggling to get even 5% or 10% of that power. Plus, if you have one of these hanging off the back of a pack while headed north, it may be swinging east and west out of the most direct sunlight, so you might get only 1% or 2% of maximum.

They may be better than nothing, but you may not get but a fraction of what you seek. If the charge voltage or current drop below a certain point, your device may not charge at all. In that case, having a panel with attached battery pack starts to become more practical.

Some systems give you specifications on a solar panel with an attached battery pack, so you might see some sizable wattage numbers, but it might take forever to recharge that attached battery pack.

–B.G.–

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Michael,

From my experience and most reports I have read on the 'net, solar chargers are underwhelming in the backcountry unless it's used in perfect conditions. Desert, open ridge walking, etc. If that's where you're hiking there are a couple great recommendations above. I ended up going with a 10,000mah battery pack at 6.8oz with a built in led flashlight(just OK, but good enough to let me leave a backup light at home). It has a ton of capacity and can handle high discharge rates compared to AA's.

Ryan

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

Glenn S

@glenn64

Locale: Snowhere, MN

Nomad 7 good, guide 10, not so much. Without the ability to charge the batteries individually, it's really not much of a battery charger. Eneloop makes a AA/AAA USB charger that will charge just two batteries independently or alone. It only weighs 42 grams. The guide 10 is really more of just a heavy low capacity battery brick from my experience. Unless you have a device that takes 4 batteries and you can keep your cells evenly discharged, because I haven't seen it charge them equally if you mix match discharge levels.

Glenn S

@glenn64

Locale: Snowhere, MN

If you need some input on how much charge a battery pack will hold and its weight, a fellow BPLer did this nice chart of battery pack comparisons here.

michael levi

@m-l

Thanks guys, it's a lot to take in.

I have a galaxy mega, similar to the galaxy s4.

I will probably get a spare battery maybe 2, with a solar charger! Should be fun.

michael levi

@m-l

It's going to be used in maui, hawaii. There will be plenty of sunlight on our walk across the island.

So what is the best one for my Samsung galaxy?

Weight is important with my 5.5lb base and my 7.5lb full skin out.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

"So what is the best one for my Samsung galaxy?"

As was posted earlier…

"…you really have to get in touch with the power demands of your devices. Without that, you are just spinning your wheels."

You need to determine how much capacity you are using each day, and how many days you will be out, and at a minimum how much juice you need to push back in. I have been to Hawaii several times and it always seemed to rain part of the time I was there.

Tony L

@luch0623

You may want to check out the WakaWaka power. I got mine through a kickstarter campaign like a year ago for like 40 bucks. I think they sell now for like 60. They are small, semi lightweight at 5.15 oz (on my scale) and also have a built in light. You can charge it via USB or solar. Mine takes a full day or a little more to get a full charge. I have a Samsung s4 and if my phone is completely dead the WakaWaka will charge it to about 75%. I then just strap it to my pack and at the end of the day it will be near 100% charged (it charges quicker in full sunlight but still charges in the shade or when overcast). I never use my full battery in one day because I am careful so I never have problems using the WakaWaka. I may be wrong here but when I bought it i think it was the most powerful solar charger for its size.

FYI there is also a waterproof dry bag it comes with that is an additional 1.35oz. You don't want to get the solar side wet. I have used in on 4 trips last summer and it withheld each trip. It seems to be very durable too. Worth checking out IMO

http://us.waka-waka.com/

Derek M.
    BPL Member

@dmusashe

I have no direct experience with solar chargers, so I can't provide any first hand reviews.

With that said, I recently dug into this topic myself and came to conclusion that the Suntactics sCharger 5 is the one of the only moderately lightweight solar panels on the market that isn't totally underpowered for charging smartphones. People using this panel in real world backpacking conditions reported being able to charge their phones to 100% in a half a day of full sunlight.

I also got the impression that no solar panel worked very well in anything other than direct sunlight. So overcast conditions or extensive forest hiking would preclude the use of a solar panel for backpacking.

Don A.
    BPL Member

@amrowinc

I'll be the 4th or 5th or… vote for the Suntactics sCharger 5. I hike with a couple of friends that share one for their multitude of electronic items and constant facebooking. It does the job for both of them. The beauty of it in my mind is that it's a direct USB connection so your not charging a battery pack to charge your device. As these things go the weight isn't too bad.

michael levi

@m-l

Found a few on amazon this one for $30, 7200mah, 8 ounces, looks durable has a carabiner etc : http://www.amazon.com/Poweradd-trade-Apollo-Portable-USB-charged/dp/B00DLUYSPO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1394770020&sr=8-2&keywords=solar+charger+usb

Lots and lots of choices, I dont need much, I think ill probably be happy with a lightweight 8oz~ and under $50 charger. Pretty excited to buy one soon!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools