Topic

Anyone else hate sleeping sticky?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Anyone else hate sleeping sticky?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Dan Healy

@electricpanda

Locale: Queensland

I have always used a wet and dry clothing system…

wet is what you wear during the day… as soon as I have set up camp I change into the 'dry'- generally something like a 164g long sleeve top and 190g wool long johns… if it is cold I wear more insulation…

I wear the base layer in the bag with liner socks and maybe a light beanie. The advantages are you keep the bag clean, you feel better not having the skin on skin thing going when sleeping, you can wear this stuff if needed as more baselayer, but the big one is just a the change of clothing around camp – very civilized…

John Baird

@jbaird

Locale: Deleware Watergap A_T

Yes, gotta go with Ben Tang and the others. There's nothing better than a quick wipe down with wet ones.
    I find that a pair of silk long johns is cool in the summer and warm in the winter. Just nothing like them for sleeping with only a few grams of wait.
    Also…don't forget to cool down during the evening meal. It's a little time to stop, slow down and reflect about that long day.
    When it's hot, it's hot; but the silk goes a long way, for me anyway.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Sticky legs seem to be the main source of psychological discomfort, which is primarily what's going on here. So to remedy this, I simply fill a Drom bag from the creek and rig it up to a tree, then open the flip-valve to release what amounts to a very narrow stream of water. By standing here and there, raising legs this way and that, directing the flow where needed while simultaneously rubbing legs and feet by hand, most of the day's grime falls away

What's the matter with standing in the creek and washing?

Joshua Gilbert

@joshcgil2

Locale: Seattle

Roger,
    Nothing wrong with standing in a creek and washing, unless you are using soap, in which case you are kind of throwing lnt principles out the window.

Many people on this site seem to dispute the validity of this philosophy, which is their perogative, but from my perspective, even if a cow is standing downstream from you, doing what cows do in the water, no need to add to the problem.

The dromedary shower works well if you have some time to hang the dark bag in the sun, get a warmer wash that way.

some people have different hygiene requirements than others (I've gone a month without showering, working on a boat in Alaska. It was all right, but that shower afterwards felt about as good as anything.) Nothing wrong with that

Robin Bouc
    Spectator

@robinbouc

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

WOW! This really took off.

Funny thing is, after I finally purchased my smartwool long underwear bottoms and top, problem solved.

No more sticky thighs and stinky bottoms. Smartwool is absolutely amazing.

When you are really sticky, spending a little time doing a bird bath is quite effective, especialy if you can get naked in the outdoors (gotta love it.) And then, slide on that wonderful merino wool and it's cozy time.

Elinore somehow always manages to smell good (as women do) even after 12 miles in 90 degree heat.

Anyway, once I found smartwool, I found my answer. Thanks everyone for all these awesome responses.

Dan Healy

@electricpanda

dupe post, maybe a mod could sort this please!

Dan Healy

@electricpanda

How about a 100% wool top and bottom?

…much less smelly than blends like smartwool and feel more comfortable over a bigger range of temps IMHO… as you are not bush-bashing in it abrasion is not an issue…

The new Fairydown 170gsm long sleeve T comes in at 175g compared to 200g for the smartwool in microweight. This is for the XL sizes… the long johns I haven't looked at yet though my Icebreakers come in at 190g.

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

You have a link to said company?

Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Locale: Pigeon House Mt from the Castle

As I understand it Fairydown which was a high end New Zealand outdoor gear company is no more, it was purchased by a company called Katmandu and then closed down. Katmandu specialty is supplying outdoor gear to the latte sipping crowd and is owned by a merchant bank.

Tony

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Fairydown which was a high end New Zealand outdoor gear company
    Started I think by Bevan Napper?

> purchased by a company called Katmandu and then closed down.
    Bedding dept still trades. Rest of gear absorbed into Kat I think.

> Katmandu specialty is supplying outdoor gear to the latte sipping crowd and is owned by a merchant bank.
    OUCH!
    Let's be kinder and include the trekking/hostelling crowd … :-)

Dan Healy

@electricpanda

not quite right there…

Kathmandu was sold by the Camerons a few years back… at some stage they bought Fairydown from the Ellis's but were bound by a golden handcuffs clause not to operate for a set number of years… I am only going on heresay so the details may be not quite accurate.

I believe that time has now expired and there seem to be a few interesting things in the pipeline for the lightweight crew including an eVent jacket with decent pitzips and a decent hood coming in at under 400g in XL… my Marmot XL precip is 364 … the featured-up ID jacket is 374 in my size but lacks pitzips of any size – personally I like large pitzips to make a WB jacket usable with out having to slow the heart rate down to a slow walking pace on flat ground … the ID rain jacket is lighter but off minimal use in decent sustained rain with a bit of a breeze behind it IMHO…

I was very surprised at the weight of the 170gsm jersey – not sure how they get it that light when Icebreakers in the lighter 150gsm(not as durable?!) fabric are heavier – maybe it is the cut? I use digital scales so it is fairly accurate…

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools