Topic

May hit sub10lb, Room for improvement? Also show how i did it

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists May hit sub10lb, Room for improvement? Also show how i did it

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Dan Pelletier

@mindwip

First off thanks to everyone here. I have been reading this forum for some time and been able to reduce my base weight from over 18 pounds to about 12 pounds right now. Posting this gear list to hopefully get some good ideas to lighten even more. My goal was under 12 pounds which i sorta hit, but with the Golite poncho or driducks 10lb or sub10lb seemed doable. Since my pack is new i most likely wont get the Golite Jam 35L, cant justify the cost. I have the Jam in the gear list to show where i am headed later/planning. May try a cuben pack later if i get my weight down enough.

Where Hike?
    Mainly desert and dry mountains, Southern California, not known for its rain

Length?
    1-3 nights on average

With Who?
    Solo or one other person, generally no gear sharing

Concerns
    Bugs don't like them. Moving from my Eureka! Spitfire Tent (which i love) to a bivy with tarp combo. Planning on getting the GoLite poncho and Borah Side zipper ultralight bivy long and wide.

Will get a bigger tarp later but rain is not my main concern so the poncho is to stop-gap for small rains that may happen and to keep the sun off. Recently also got some dri-ducks that i would bring if it was going to rain instead of my older heavy gortex stuff.

I would like to cowboy camp, but i also dont want to camp with the bugs in my quilt. So the bivy is my new home. Want to get out of the tent when its nice out. And do not plan on setting up the tarp most nights.

ADDED Google docs link
    NOTE For my first column that is my old item weights and not the current weights of whats listed. Just to show where i came from. Sorry for confusion

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8XbJtxPUY-8TTA4ckMwcjM4X2s/edit?usp=sharing

Gear List

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

You have a tent plus two tarps. Eliminate two of the three.

A 3-pound quilt? That doesn't sound right.

–B.G.–

Dan Pelletier

@mindwip

ADDED Google docs link (to OP)
    NOTE For my first column that is my old item weights and not the current weights of whats listed. Just to show where i came from. Sorry for confusion.

Only have one tarp under my bivy/tarp tent weight. Unless your counting my solar blanket which is used as a ground sheet. Also uploaded a new excel sheet that i hope clears it up.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Only have one tarp under my bivy/tarp tent weight. Unless your counting my solar blanket which is used as a ground sheet."

You called them both tarps, so I called them both tarps.

Besides, isn't it possible to reduce the size of the characters in the spreadsheet so that we can't read it at all? No, I guess not.

–B.G.–

Dan Pelletier

@mindwip

"Besides, isn't it possible to reduce the size of the characters in the spreadsheet so that we can't read it at all? No, I guess not."

? Dont know what your asking or saying here all the words are in the cells. This is my first time posting a picture and it looked fine on my computer. Thats why i added the link to google docs. Sorry i did not know before hand how small the picture would turn out.

I called it a ground tarp in one line item and Solar Blanket/ground tarp in the other. Because i used to use a dedicated ground tarp and now i use a solar blanket as my ground tarp. Ground Tarp is noted as blank for its weight going forward as its no longer carried.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools