Topic

Packraft Relate Bill in US Senate

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Packrafting Packraft Relate Bill in US Senate

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

A bill to open rivers in Yellowstone and the Grand Teton to hand powered boats (i.e packrafts) went to the Senate. Interesting they have time for such a niche thing but its there. Here is the text of the bill

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/113/s2018/text

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

A much more complicated state of affairs than it appears at first glance. I wrote a bit about it: http://bedrockandparadox.com/2014/03/05/the-river-paddling-protection-act/

In brief, it doesn't oblige the NPS to do anything other than consider new paddling rules in a hopefully substantive fashion, which so far as I can tell hasn't happened in decades.

Most of the debate around this has been quite sad. Lots of stereotyping and ad hominem attacks.

American Whitewater stopped active support in the Senate several weeks ago. It's unclear what that will mean.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

drift …

"Interesting they have time for such a niche thing but its there."

Congress doesn't "initiate". But it will find the time if pressure and dollars are applied.

(I added what "pressure" I could)

…end drift

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

The Park superintendent is adamantly opposed to the bill and several local (Montana/Wyoming) conservation organizations have opposed it as well. The NPS I can understand – full plate already and no extra money for another activity – but the conservation organizations I cannot. Not the first time for that though.

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

Update – The bill passed the House and is on its way to the Senate. American Whitewater, which originally asked Rep. Lummis to propose the bill, has withdrawn its support. The following quotation from another Yellowstone-area non-profit is typical of what the conservation community is saying:

"Rep. Lummis’ legislation is not the right mechanism to address recreational use in our national parks. It is a blunt approach that fails to consider the recreational and natural values provided by waters in some of the world’s most popular and pristine places – Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks, and the National Elk Refuge.

Other issues with the bill:

* It only gives Yellowstone and Grand Teton three years to evaluate, study, and release a rule for use of approximately 7,500 miles of backcountry creeks and streams.

* The legislation fails to define “hand-propelled vessels”, potentially opening streams like the Lamar and Firehole rivers, for example, to commercial tubing.

* Allowing such access will make pristine Yellowstone and Grand Teton streams vulnerable to the invasive weeds and aquatic species that have taken over many parts of the West, threatening native vegetation and wildlife forage."

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools