Topic

150-250 Mile Trails in US?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning 150-250 Mile Trails in US?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Does anyone have any recommendations on 150-250 mile trails in the US? I've hiked the JMT, Superior Trail and AT, so something beyond a couple of those. I have a couple of weeks off this year, so hoping someone has something they'd recommend. Thanks!

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

There are two national trails in NW Arkansas: the Ozark Highlands Trail (218 miles) and the Ouachita Trail (223 miles).

http://ozarkhighlandstrail.com/

http://friendsot.org/

I haven't thru-hiked either but grew up nearby.

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

Also the Ozark Trail in Missouri and River to River Trail in Illinois.

Adam

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Many say that the Washington section of the PCT is one of the most scenic and you can certainly make a 150-250 mile trip of that.

You could hook up some closely related hikes like the Olympics and the West Coast Trail on Vancouver Island. Take some rain gear :)

Scott S

@sschloss1

Locale: New England

The New England Scenic Trail is around 215 miles long. I haven't done the CT section, but the Mass. section is nice–easier and more scenic than the AT in Mass. Best done in spring (like late April to mid-May) or, even better, in fall.

http://www.newenglandtrail.org

Dave T

@davet

The Tahoe Rim Trail is a great, easy trail to do in summer or fall. 165 miles (or a bit longer with some side trips). Beautiful and a great one to do with a VERY light pack. Give it 7 days and 25mpd with a couple of on-trail resupplies.

Nicholas Viglione
    BPL Member

@nicholas-viglionegmail-com

A relatively new route, though hardly quantifiable as a true "long trail" in many senses is Erik Schlimmer's Trans Adirondack Route, established/mapped just a few years ago.

At 236 Miles, it is a combination of trail/ bushwhack / road walking through some absolutely stunning and pristine Adirondack wilderness. The 'daks may not have the "knock your socks off" sense of grandeur that some of the Western ranges have, but there are sections of unbelievable beauty and wildness that I have yet to find matched.

http://www.transadk.com/

(Or stay away – it's buggy, muddy, rocky, switchback-free, swampy, bear infested and generally a miserable time for anyone not from New York – we're immune to all of those ;)

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

I looked at the Trans ADK as possible trip this year (alas..I may family obligations that are preventing it. Sigh..).

It looks like it would be a KILLER fall hike.

daniel B
    Spectator

@dbogey

Locale: East Coast
    Anonymous
    Inactive

For all the thoughts and suggestions. I'd say the NY trail looks just about right thus far and I've always wanted to hike in what I would call Upstate NY. We'll see what else comes up, thanks again.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Well, if you want to head into the ADK's, ther are a few options. The Nothville-Placid trail is about 135mi long. It takes about 9 days to hike it. If you do any fishing,about two weeks.

The Trans Adirondack Route follows the NPT for a ways. Or, you can string a couple trail together to do some peaks in the High Peaks Area between say the Heart Lake Loj and Keen Valley. There is no difinitive route for the North Country Trail through that part of NY.

The Moose River Plains offers a lot of hiking in and out of the many lakes in that area with connections to the NPT and NCT. The road is never good getting in and out. If you enjoy backwoods fishing, the fishing is fair. A canoe, raft and/or float tube is almost maditory for the hundreds of lakes.

If you enjoy canoeing, it is about as good as it gets. The St. Regis is nice, Oswagatchie, Cedar River, etc. More'n I care to mention. There is a LOT of water. The Northern Forest Canoe Trail goes across northern NY from Old Forge to Plattsburg. Saranac Lakes, and Fish Creek Ponds can be offshoots. Lots more.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

A little longer, but the grandaddy of them all, the Long Trail in Vermont is about 275, and the Benton Mackaye, is about 300. BMT is much more of a wilderness experience than the AT, you might not see anyone for 2 weeks. Then there is the Pinhoti Trail as well, its 335. Tahoe Rim trail is ~165.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Love all the options. I think going over 300 miles makes tough to do in 2 weeks including the travel to and from the trail. While my buddy and I have definitely sustained long days of hiking(we averaged 18.5 on the JMT everyday to finish in time), going beyond that would be tough especially out East on the tough trails. For those that haven't hiked out in AT land, while they might be smaller mountains, they are incredible vertical at points and it seems to go up and down all day long.

Question: Since I've already hiked part of the Long Trail(while thru AT), would I truly have to start in what I remember is Dalton to end or pick up where I took off to "thru hike" it?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools