Topic

Feedback needed on Enlightened Equipment Enigma Sizing

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Feedback needed on Enlightened Equipment Enigma Sizing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

We've been selling Enigmas now since OCT and being our first quilt with a sewn footbox I would like to check with you guys to be sure we got the sizing right. Mostly I'm interested in feedback from people at the top end of each size, 5'4", 5'10", 6'4" and 6'10" to see if the quilts fit well around your neck with little pressure or compression along the quilt's length. We've made the Revelation style for so long we've had a chance to tweak the fit so it is right on I just want to be sure we are doing the same with the Enigma and that it fits the way you expect it to.

-Tim

Glenn S

@glenn64

Locale: Snowhere, MN

I just received my Enigma 30* a few days ago. Being a fellow Minnesotan, I'm sure you understand why I haven't field tested it yet!

I went with a quilt because of hip pain. Lying prone on my back in a mummy for extended periods is painful. The footbox in my Enigma is roomy enough that I can bend one knee off to the side comfortably and long enough to still basically remain in the footbox.

If I lie flat on my back fully stretched out, without over stretching he quilt, the top comes right to my nose. It's about mid chin after I wiggle around a bit and the fabric relaxes. The wide width is vey wide. I end up on my side a lot and also plan on layering with a puffy and I think the sizing is perfect.

The only annoyance, if you can call it that, is when on my back with the bag up to my nose as mentioned, the cordlock is right there and the cord is right there in my face. Kind of tickling my nose and whiskers. It's better than if the lockers were at the ends of the bag and underneath though, so not sure there is much to do about it. I'm just nitpicking to find some feedback to offer is all I guess.

So in summary: Yup, fits like a glove! :)

Edit: I don't want to imply that it's too long, because when the neck cord is cinched up, there's still enough room to keep it just off my shoulders. Any shorter and I think it would start to tug and pull at the seams. There's none of that now. I'm about 160 lbs.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Thanks Glenn,

I was at lake of the woods over the weekend, -20*F plus wind!

The fix to the cord in your face is to pull it Inside where you can adjust it without getting your hands cold.

Glenn, how tall are you?

-Tim

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Well, I'm not your target group since I'm only 5'8", but mine fit fabulously, I can tuck my whole head inside if I want.

Glenn S

@glenn64

I'm 5' 10" and I was a bit hesitant at ordering a regular, but between bag mode, and quilt mode, it's neither too long nor too short. The perfect goldilocks window IMO

Paul Andronico
    BPL Member

@jakesandwich

Locale: Lake Tahoe

Tim, maybe I am an outlier, but at 5' 11" and 185 pounds I found I had trouble rolling over and avoiding drafts in a regular/wide Enigma, as the quilt always wanted to roll with me. I did not have this problem with the regular/wide RevX, which allowed me to easily roll inside the quilt without pulling the quilt with me. I am not sure if my problem with the Enigma is because of the shorter length, or the flat footbox, or both. As you know, I ultimately decided to go back to a Revelation (it is scheduled to arrive tomorrow :), but perhaps a long/wide Enigma would have fit just like a regular/wide Revelation. Either way I will enjoy the Revelation when it arrives. Thanks for asking the question.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

I am 5'10, 230 lbs and I have used my Enigma 10 degree quilt, size regular/regular width 2 times now and I LOVE it!! Perfect size for me. In fact I should be recieving my 30 degree Enigma tomorrow or Thursday and I will be useing that this weekend. Within the next 2 or 3 weeks I will be ordering a 50 degree Enigma..also regular/regular. No complaints from me whatsoever..perfect design perfect quilts. Thankyou very much!!

Art Tyszka
    BPL Member

@arttyszka

Tim, at 5' 10" and 190 lbs the Reg/Wide is perfect. Un-cinched, I can easily bring it up to cover my nose, cinched, it covers my neck fully. If I was thinking about a cold-weather quilt (10F or 0F) I'd likely opt for a long just to be able to bring it up higher and cover my face.

Paul Andronico
    BPL Member

@jakesandwich

Art's and Joe's comments make me wish I'd compared the width of my Enigma to the width of my RevX before I sold the Enigma. I suppose it's possible I got a regular width Enigma by mistake, but I guess I'll never know :)

Aaron D
    Spectator

@ardavis324-2-2-2

I'm 5'11 180 and the Regular length is perfect. Wouldn't want it any shorter though. If I slept fully stretched out as tall as possible it may feel slightly short..but for me its excellent.

Kris Franklin
    Spectator

@smoove910

Waiting for a coupon/deal to come up on the Enigma before I make the jump. Looking for a 20 or 30 long/wide. I'm 6'1" and 210lbs. Would certainly give a thorough review once I do get one though. :)

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

"I was at lake of the woods over the weekend, -20*F plus wind! "

Okay Tim now you need to please share what gear you brought with for this, temp of quilt etc?

:)

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Kris,

You may be waiting awhile;) the plan was to have a memorial weekend sale but were so busy right now we could t handle any big increase in order volume like a sale would create. It might be ok by the time we get there as I'm bringing in more staff but its so busy.

Michael,

I used my 0* enigma on an XLITE but wished I just brought my 30 or 40 and a wider pad! We ended up sleeping in heated ice shacks and I didn't get to cold limit test like I planned;) too cold

-Tim

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Tim,

I'm 5'7" and a little chubby for my height, and a very athletic rotisserie sleeper. The 5'10"/wide is perfect for me. It took a trip to get used to the different length from the revelation I had been using (I like to bunch up the quilt and bury my head in the extra fabric)…it took a bit of getting used to having a bag that was closer to my height than the normal 6' that I've used pretty much my whole life. But once I got used to it it really is perfect.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Thanks everyone for the feedback, it sounds like the sizing accurately matches the description for almost everyone.

One of the reasons I'm asking this is because the difference between the Revelation and Enigma sizing has created confusion for some. The Revelation REG fits 6'-6'2" max and the REG Enigma to 5'10" max. We are considering re-labeling the Long Enigma (6'4" currently) to match the Rev Reg (6'-6'2"), same with other sizes basically taking 2" off the enigma size and relabeling it a size shorter without actually changing the cut of the quilt. How would you guys feel about that? Or should I just leave well enough alone?

-Tim

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

DONT confuse me please. I actually got my 30 degree Enigma today..I love it. The black ouside with Navy inside looks sweet. Thanks Tim for making another outstanding quilt for me. Like I said earlier..in the next 2 weeks or so I will be ordering a 50 degree one..regular length regular width..so please dont change the sizing just yet, lol.

Matt Dirksen
    BPL Member

@namelessway

Locale: Mid Atlantic

Hi Tim,

In lieu of "short, reg & long" you could just use the lengths that the Enigma bag max out at.

For example, the Enigma long/wide could be now the Enigma64 wide (or 2064 if its a 20 degree)

Reminds me of the way I typically order door and window sizes.

If you do this only for the Enigma line, there might be less confusion.

Matt

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Joe,

Don't worry any change if we did make one will happen with the launch of a new site which is still a little ways out.

Michael,

The only reason I will change anything at this point is if I choose to make the fits standard across all models so a different way of organization though I totally get it prob isn't the direction I would move.

-Tim

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

I think the current method is a bit confusing (having the same size mean different things across your product line), but relabeling doesn't seem like the solution. The problem is that the Enigma seems to fit in between sizes of the revelation. Relabeling won't help that. It will just be confusing the other way and it will add confusion if people want to buy another quilt from you. (Why doesn't this reg/slim fit like the one I bought last year?). The solution I see is to add a bit more length to your Enigma series so they more closely match the revelation series quilts. Probably a pain in the butt for you, but that is the only solution I see. I understand there is more flexibility in sizing with the revelation due to how the footbox is constructed, but at least on of the sizing numbers should match.

Glenn S

@glenn64

Tough call. Sizing is easily defined in the Enigma because it has a single purpose. Sizing of the Rev kinda depends on how it's used I'd think. I don't have a Rev (yet), but it seems like it would fit differently depending on what "mode" it was used in. Trying to lump both products into an identical sizing structure might overshadow some of the uniqueness of the individual designs.

I do think perhaps more detailed sizing information on the Rev, illustrating it's different uses would be beneficial. The Enigma is pretty straightforward, and it seems to be working, so I'm not sure I'd mess with it, unless the other sizes are off when they report in.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Whew…ok.

Kenda Willey

@sonderlehrer

Paul,
    Your Enigma was a wide, and I know because I'm the one who bought it. It's clearly wider than my Revelation. BTW I'm very happy with my acquisition–sorry I didn't post that immediately.

Paul Andronico
    BPL Member

@jakesandwich

Thanks, Kenda! My reg/wide Revelation arrived a while back and it's perfect. Having used it now after selling the reg/wide Enigma, and I am confident that a long/wide Enigma would also be perfect for me. It turns out the shorter length of the Enigma was the issue for me, not the width.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Just to follow up with everyone on this.

When our new site launches (April, fingers crossed) the enigma sizing will match the Revelation sizing to reduce the confusion that has caused.

I really appreciate everyone's feedback.

-Tim

Packman Pete
    BPL Member

@packmanpete

Locale: Rainy Portland

Wanted to chime in. I've had a Nunatak and a Golite quilt. I genuinely prefer my Enigma. Not because of the size, but the head-to-toe baffles. What a breakthrough!

Just sayin'

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools