Topic

Planning for 08 JMT hike – Questions on gear!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Planning for 08 JMT hike – Questions on gear!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@sponge

Locale: PNW

Greetings!

Here's the short story. Been backpacking 5 or 6 times, hiking for 10 years. I'm planning on hiking the JMT Aug 08. I'm trying to figure out my gear situation, and could use all of your (collective) expert advice! I've been pouring over gear reviews, trip reviews, etc. for a month.

My first question is: Is a GG Nimbus Ozone well suited for this trip? I have one, w/lid pocket, and I like the suspension, but I think it's a bit heavy (3 lbs). I've been looking at the ULA Conduit as an alternative…thoughts?

Martin Wilde

@marty-wildegmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

A couple of things you will need to take into account:

1) A Sierra Approved Bear Canister is required. These are big and bulky. Thus you pack will need to accommodate one. Many people try to "tie" them on to small packs and have issues. The approved cannisters range any where from 23oz (S29 Ursack + Liner) to almost 3lbs for the black Garcia cannisters.

2) Resupply Options – the last 110 miles does not have a re-supply option unless you hike out 13 miles one-way or have some wonderful sole meet you. So typically 5 to 8 days of supplies are needed for that portion of the trail.

Remember this is a long hike and having a comfortable pack will make it feel much better. Scrimping on the pack may be acceptable for a few days – but for several weeks it can get old.

For journals I have read the GG Nimbus Ozone would be a good choice. I am using the ULA Catalyst. After talking with Brian he recommended the Catalyst over the Circuit for its better load handling and the ability to carry the bear cannister easily.

Enjoy!

-martin

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

hey douglas,

before making any suggestions, it would be good to see your current gearlist, that way we can see any weaknesses, and it will be easier to dial in your gear situation.

as far as pack recomondations, it really depends on your other gear choices, if your gearlist is under 10lbs, you will need a different pack than a 20 or 30lb load. it also depend on your resupply strategy, if you try a JMT thru-hike w/o resupply, you will have a heavier load to start out the hike, and will then need a heavier pack with better frame support.

last summer i did a 195 mile trek throught the sierras without a resupply, it was easier to plan, not having a ressuply, but i dont know if i would do it again, at the start of the hike i had almost 40lbs on my back, when my base weight was only 7.5lbs. it took my 9 days to finish the hike, i think if i had a couple ressuplys i could have done it quite a bit faster, and enjoyed the first few days more, because i wouldent have had the same weight in the begining.

I used a golite JAM, a ULA conduit is compareable to the JAM in size, and i assume performance. the JAM was excellent, and to this day remains my favorite backpack for almost all aplications.

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@sponge

Wow, thanks for the inputs! I'm working on organizing my gear list…but it's all up in the air and I'm planning on switching out quite a bit of my kit to lighten my load. My main pieces in my pack (sans tent because I haven't bought a solo yet) are:

Sleeping bag
    Marmot Atom or REI Shasta 15

Pad
    Prolite4 3/4 or BA Aircore reg.

Kitchen (not happy with setup)
    Primus litrek Kettle
    Brunton Optimus Crux
    Brunton folding Ti Spork

Water
    Assortment of Platy's Nalgene and Camelback bladders
    Hiker filter w/bladder attach.

Food
    Freezerbag meals
    Clif Bars

Clothing
    Marmot Precip jkt/pant
    MHW zip-up zoetic shirtjac or
    Marmot driclime jacket
    Capilene top/bottom
    Fleece hat/gloves

First Aid/other
    .7 ultralight First aid kit
    waterproof matches
    leatherman micro
    Brunton Compass
    25" paracord

I know I'm forgetting some things, but that's the rough idea. I don't have a set "kit" of clothing…I just use what I need based on the expected weather. I have a couple of soft shells etc.

Thoughts? I really don't like my kitchen setup. It wont all fit in my kettle! Its just a hair too narrow….

Martin Wilde

@marty-wildegmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Here is my list for my upcoming JMT hike on Aug 13th… I am planning many early resupplies thus my first 108 miles I have a resupply every 2-3 days to keep the weight down until Muir Ranch.

If you send me your email address – I will send you my entire planning spreadsheet…

-martin

==============================

Basic Items Ounces
    Backpack 44 ULA Catalyst
    Tent 34 Black Diamond One Shot
    Quilt 20 Nunatak Arc Alpinist
    Sleeping pad 19 Big Agnes Petite Mummy + Repair Kit
    Backpack Cover 2.9
    Pillow 1 BPL Pillow
    Rope 1
    Basic Total (lbs) 7.61875

Cook Items Ounces
    Stove + Windscreen 1.8 Cone Stove
    Cook Pot 4.2 MSR Titanium Kettle
    Cleaning items 0.6 CampSuds
    Spoon 0.4 BPL Long Titanium
    Cook Items Tote Bag 0.8
    Lighter 0.5
    Ursack + Liner 23
    Cozy 1
    Cook Total (lbs) 2.01875

Personal Ounces
    First Aide Kit 3
    Headlamp 0 Photon III
    Water Filtration 3 Aqua Mira
    Toiletries 7 Toothpaste, Toothbrush, comb, floss, Advil, matches, spare battery
    Shovel+TP 5
    Body Soap 1 Dr. Bronners Soap
    Knife 3
    Hand Sanitizer 2
    Camera 5.9
    Sunscreen 2.5
    Bug Repellent 2
    Laundry Soap 1
    Personal Total (lbs) 2.2125

Clothing Ounces
    Shirt 3.1 Hind Running Shirt
    Running Shorts 3.5 New Balance Running Shorts
    Socks + Underwear 2.5
    Rain Jacket 7.4 North Face Diad
    Down Jacket 6.7 Montbell U.L. Inner Down
    Gloves 1.5 Next2Skin
    Stocking Hat 1.7
    Bottom Base Layer 4.7 REI Long Johns
    Pillow Case 1.8 Thermawrap Stuff Bag
    Upper Base Layer 5.6 Patagonia 2 Merlino Wool
    Bandanas 2.3
    Rain Pants 2.9 ULA Rain Wrap
    Wind Pants 2.4 Montbell Wind Pants
    Clothing Total (lbs) 2.88125

Consumables Ounces
    Fuel 10 Alcohol for 15 meals
    Water 56
    Food (28 oz per day) 56
    Consumables Total 7.625

Total (lbs) 14.73125
    Total + Consumables (lbs) 22.35625

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@sponge

Thanks Marty! Email sent.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools