Topic

APA Packraft Roundup, July 11-13

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Packrafting APA Packraft Roundup, July 11-13

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

The American Packrafting Association is holding a Packraft Roundup July 11-13th, at the Big Creek campground just west of Glacier National Park. There will be a swiftwater rescue class Friday the 11th (space limited), a BBQ the evening of the 12th, and packraft outings and workshops both Saturday the 12th and Sunday the 13th. Registration for the Roundup is 30 dollars, and includes camping and the BBQ. The rescue class costs 75 dollars.

More info here: http://packraft.org/American_Packrafting_Association/Packraft_Roundup.html

This should be a great event in a great location at a great time of year. The Big Creek campground is run by the forest service, and in a great location in a big ponderosa grove along the North Fork of the Flathead. You can start and end trips right at the campground. It provides easy access to a bunch of other creeks. There is no cell service. It's an easy ~45 minutes from the Glacier International airport, the last 10 miles of which are washboarded dirt road passable by any vehicle.

What I'd like to do, if there is interest, is do a 2.5 day backcountry trip the Tuesday through Thursday before the rescue class. Tuesday would be spent setting a car shuttle and hiking in to a BC camp in Glacier. Wednesday would be some great alpine hiking (possibly over some non-technical snow), some floating, and a bit more hiking to a spectacular camp by a high alpine lake. Thursday would be a full day of hiking over another pass, with some river floating at the end of the day. We could camp at Big Creek that evening.

This would be a good trip for moderately fit backpackers with a bit of whitewater experience. There would be 15-18 miles of hiking each of the last two days, with floating up to class III.

Respond here if interested. I'd also be pleased to help folks plan trips either before or after the Roundup. It would be an ideal time of year to do a longer trip in the Bob Marshall.

Morgan Rucks
    BPL Member

@rucksmtr

Myself and my friend Tom are in . Lets get a carpool going from northern CA to Montana. I would like to do a longer trip after as well. Thanks Dave for taking such an active role in the backpacking community.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I plan to be at the round up and would love to go on a trip with you guys. If I don't buy a packraft soon I'm going to at least rent one for a while this summer so I can start playing with one.

I'm planning on doing some short trips in the Jackson Hole area first for some practice. I probably won't be up to class III skill level though. I'd be happy to either portage or take an alterative route.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Sounds like we have the beginnings of a plan. All the tougher sections on that loop can be walked around on trails.

I'll keep in touch sooner to the date, and discuss possible longer trips in the Bob as well.

Chad Lorenz
    BPL Member

@chadl

Locale: Teton Valley, Wydaho

It's on my calendar!

Likely be in AK working during that timeframe, but things change fast around here.

Getting thighstraps installed ASAP and taking a 5 day swiftwater course in April on the Green. The way things are shaping up down here in Teton Valley we'll have no shortage of water come spring! If I can push work around at all I will be there in a heartbeat!

Dave, thanks for making yourself so open to the community of hiker/boaters out there. You've certainly inspired quite a few to pick up these little boats and give the a whirl! -Chad

Ivan Dominguez
    BPL Member

@idtejera

Locale: Canary Islands

Perfect. See you there
    http://www.planetapackraft.com

Jeff Gerke
    Spectator

@mtnrunner

Locale: Utah

I would be interested in a long trip in the Bob after the roundup. I won't be able to make it to the first part of the roundup but could be there on the last day.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Just signed up for the swiftwater course. You guys think I should invest in a cheap wet suit? I wouldn't us it on most PR trips but I'm guessing we'll spend a lot of time in the water.

[Oops, hit the wrong button. -DC]

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Just pulled the trigger on a used Yukon Yak complete with cruiser spray deck. I can't wait. I should be able to get on a lake over Easter and practice a bit. Hopefully then some mild whitewater in Wyoming on the way up.

Definitely down for the pre roundup trip and possibly the Bob after that.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

The North Fork will still be darn cold that time of year. If you find a used or on-sale 3-4mm farmer john it'd be a nice thing to have, both for the rescue day and use on day trips. If you can't find one dead cheap I'm sure you could arrange to borrow something for the class.

Jon Holthaus
    BPL Member

@t25hatch

Luke,

I purchased this one and really like it. I've taken a few unexpected swims this past winter (~18 deg ambient and water temp around 35 deg) and was relatively ok to swim back to boat.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/camaro-freefall-farmer-john-wetsuit-4mm-for-men~p~5764p/?filterString=s~wet-suit%2F&colorFamily=01

Right now it's 35% off using the code 'SITESNAP414' for a total of $84.47.

Also as others have said, they make a pretty good sleeping pad too. I've even slept in mine on a trip, and it keeps you suprisingly warm.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

That Camaro is a decent deal on a good suit.

Jon Holthaus
    BPL Member

@t25hatch

I really wish I could make it to this, that time of year will be our busiest month at work. I hope that the round up turns into an annual thing, or at a minimum the trips after the round up will be a semi regular group meet up. The Bob looks to be the perfect destination for a great hike/raft trip.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Bumping this for anyone who missed it. APA has good numbers registered thus far, with space left. Our meltoff has been late, so water levels should be above average, giving us some good options. There will be "guided" trips both days for all levels of skill/experience, and good food Saturday night (cuz I'm helping plan the trips and buying the food!).

John St. Laurent
    Spectator

@johnstl

Locale: Pacific NW

I'll be attending on all three days. Looking forward to my Montana fix, since I missed The Open.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Dave are you still interested in a pre-roundup trip?

I'm definitely interested in doing some variation of the South Fork-Sun River Loop afterwards. Anybody interested in going too?

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

Is this an annual event? I'll be in Ireland on business this July 11, but if it's done regularly I definitely will put it on my calendar.

Richard

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

You've got an email Luke.

Richard, nothing is certain for future years, but assuming turnout is as good as seems likely I imagine this event continuing.

Morgan Rucks
    BPL Member

@rucksmtr

Last minute addition

Looks like I'll be getting to Kalispell this Monday night, and staying until the Friday after the round up.

Dave are you still planning on doing a trip the days before the roundup?

Ivan Dominguez
    BPL Member

@idtejera

Locale: Canary Islands

Thank you Morgan, but I can't. Have a nice trip and good luck.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Morgan, sorry I missed you. I emailed you my phone # if I can be of assistance today or tomorrow.

Looking forward to seeing everyone Friday. Conditions should be perfect.

Aidan Kerr
    BPL Member

@aidankerr

Hope this becomes/stays an annual event. Definitely interested in attending the next few years.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

A repeat in 2015 is very likely. Hope your trip went well Aiden.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools