Topic

Yellowstone/Teton sugestions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Yellowstone/Teton sugestions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jesse Glover

@hellbillylarry

Locale: southern appalachians

I am going to Yellowstone/Teton in mid september this year. I have never been to this aera.

Does anyone have any sugestions on where to hike? I will be there for 8 days with 2 half days to get to and from the airport. I would like to split it up in mabye 2 three day hikes and one 2 and a half day hike.

What kind of weather can we expect?

Do I really need to worry about bears?

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Jesse,

If you are going to be hiking between Leigh Canyon and the Ashton-Flagg Ranch road in the N end of GTNP, then there are occasional grizzlies in that area. I would take bear spray.

If you are going to be hiking anywhere in YNP or surrounding areas N of the Ashton-Flagg Ranch Road, then you definitely need to worry about grizzly bears. There are a lot in YNP, and they are active in the fall.

Good hikes for 3 days in YNP and surrounding areas –

– Bechler Meadows (SW)
    – Two Ocean Plateau (SE)
    – Fawn Pass (NW)
    – Black Canyon of the Yellowstone (NE)

In GTNP, the 3-day cherry is the 35-mile Teton Crest Loop. A shorter version with less miles and few scenery sacrifices is the Paintbrush Canyon-N Fork Cascade Canyon Loop. Both of these are S of Leigh Canyon and grizzly bear risk is minimal.

Jesse Glover

@hellbillylarry

Locale: southern appalachians

Ryan,

Thanks for your help. What trail(s) should I use to make up the southern leg of the teton loop. I was thinking death canyon/valley trails. For the northern end I was planning on using the cascade canyon trail.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools