Topic

Kindle 1st aid book ideas?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Kindle 1st aid book ideas?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Glenn S

@glenn64

Locale: Snowhere, MN

Seeing other first-aid posts reminded me that I lack a good backwoods first aid book for my android kindle app. So I went over to Amazon, and was quickly overwhelmed at the selection. Anyone have any recommendations?

I don't think I need to know how to improvise a Halo bandage for a sucking chest wound, just some simple stuff. The things you don't do often enough to remember and need to know when you can't think clearly from pain or panic. Basics with pictures preferably.

Rick Reno
    BPL Member

@scubahhh

Locale: White Mountains, mostly.

…is a classic, in its third edition, and available for Kindle. I hav ethe print version at home, and now tha tyou mention it, it makes a ton of sense to get the Kndle version to carry on the road… Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/Wilderness-First-Responder-3rd-Emergencies-ebook/dp/B006B539GK/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=8-3&qid=1393513031

Chad B
    BPL Member

@cenazwalker

Locale: Southwest

NOLS Wilderness Medicine is a really good one. It's kind of a condensed version of Buck Tilton's Wilderness First Responder. Only $8.99 for Kindle version.

Nick Smolinske
    BPL Member

@smo

Locale: Rogue Panda Designs

I'm partial to Paul Auerbach's books; they're really good and comprehensive. They are, unfortunately, more expensive than the other offerings.

I have the third edition of his Field Guide to Wilderness Medicine. It's really comprehensive; in fact so much so to be overwhelming sometimes. For example, it has information on how to improvise a tracheotomy – not something I plan to ever do! But to me a backcountry medical field guide isn't something to look at when you're in a stressful life-or-death situation; it's more something to look up when you're not in a hurry. So comprehensive is good.

I took my WFR from NOLS and liked it, and liked their book. So that's probably a good option, and I'm considering buying it now. But I'll still carry the Auerbach book because it just has more information.

Glenn S

@glenn64

Locale: Snowhere, MN

Sounds like this book category should stick with the "classics" too. Something NOLS based.

I do agree that the heavy reading should be done BEFORE a crisis hits, but I was just looking for a kind of down and dirty quick reference guide. Maybe one of each end of the spectrum is in order.

Who knows? It might be that I'd be the only one with ANY kind of guide, and somebody else might have to read it to work on me! So keeping it simple with pictures was my aim for this project.

Thanks for the tips guys!

Jeremy and Angela
    BPL Member

@requiem

Locale: Northern California

Here are some that come to mind:

1. Auerbach's _Medicine for the Outdoors_
    2. Wilkerson's _Medicine for Mountaineering_
    3. Tilton's _Wilderness First Responder_ (already mentioned, but also on my own shelf)

These are all fairly hefty, so it looks like some of the other suggestions up-thread might work better as "quick-reference" guides.

Joe Lynch
    BPL Member

@rushfan

Locale: Northern California

There is a first aid ap by the American Red Cross.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools