Topic

JMT rest days & mosquitos

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Pablo 2000 BPL Member
PostedFeb 26, 2014 at 2:22 pm

I'm doing the JMT north to south and want some input on 3 good spots to plan on rest days. With peak bagging, scenic side hikes from there.
Also I'm starting on July 2nd thru 23rd, any experience with mosquitoes given our current drought? Any advice on how best to manage?

M B BPL Member
PostedFeb 26, 2014 at 2:33 pm

many people take their zero days at Reds Meadow, VVR, or Muir Ranch where there are beds and food. Sounds like you want somewhere on-trail?

Im starting on 7/18 sobo myself. I plan one zero at probably VVR, but if I get ahead of schedule, may take more.

Because of when I start, I will likely finish on a Thursday thru a Sunday.

Finishing on Friday and Sat doesnt do me any good, because cant get out of Lone Pine on public transportation till Monday morning, so might as well spend a couple more days on trail than in a hotel. Only issue is, wont have enough food to hang out on the trail between MR and Whitney, so that has to be be fixed unless decide to hike out to resupply just to kill time. Any percieved slack time will be used probably around Reds to MR.

Pablo 2000 BPL Member
PostedFeb 26, 2014 at 2:40 pm

Yes something on trail, best peaks to summit, picturesque alpine lakes, impressive geology ect. More interested in avoiding crowds, and embracing solitude.

Paul Wagner BPL Member
PostedFeb 26, 2014 at 2:58 pm

If you ARE going to re-supply at Red's Meadow, you can always take a day off around Thousand Island Lake. But instead of staying on the JMT and putting up with the crowds, head West around the far end of the lake. Between there and Garnet Lake you won't find nearly so many people, you are net to Banner and Ritter, and plenty of places to fish…

M B BPL Member
PostedFeb 26, 2014 at 3:06 pm

I believe Muir said that Mt Ritter afforded the best overall view of the Sierra. It can be climbed there. Or maybe it is Banner that can be climbed. Im pretty sure Banner is easy climb.

AH, Ritter can be climbed. I looked at doing this if I have time, and theres not too much snow in the class 2 route, heres the linky for directions.

http://www.scaruffi.com/travel/ritter.html

Bob Gross BPL Member
PostedFeb 26, 2014 at 3:21 pm

Uhhh, each peak can be climbed from the saddle separating them. Banner is easier, maybe a high Class 2. Ritter is more of a Class 3. Plus, if there is snow on the bottom of the route, it gets tough. I would not expect much snow this year.

For Ritter, you really want to know where the route is. Otherwise, you will be thrashing around. It took me a while to get onto the correct route.

–B.G.–

Marko Botsaris BPL Member
PostedFeb 26, 2014 at 3:45 pm

They are mostly triggered by temperature. The effect on water levels on mosquitoes is sort of like the effect of global warming on the climate. While the the overall level of mosquitoes could be expected to be lower, and the distribution will change, this is not to say that in specific spots the mosquitoes will not in fact be WORSE than normal – all it would take is a normally running stream to be dry enough to have pools of stagnant water during the period of crucial temperature. So prepare like they will be as bad as it gets.

Bob Gross BPL Member
PostedFeb 27, 2014 at 12:23 am

A buddy and I were camped over by Waugh Lake, so we had to do some hiking to get over to Lake Catherine, then follow the glacier up to the Ritter-Banner Saddle. So, we arrived at the saddle going the opposite direction from most people who are coming up to the saddle from Lake Ediza. From the saddle, the "North Face" Class 3 route begins. First ascent October 1872 by John Muir.

According to Secor: Ascend the right-hand (west) chute on the north face; [It took me a while to figure out where that was.] it may be necessary to enter this chute from the left via a broad ledge that starts from the base of the left-hand chute on the north face of Mount Ritter. From the top of the right chute, traverse left to a wide ledge that leads up and left to an arete. Follow the arete to the summit.

Somewhere before I got up to the saddle, I had dropped my compass, and it was a cloudy day. Somehow I got myself twisted by about 60 degrees, so all of the above directions were confusing to me. Once I got halfway up to the summit, it all became obvious. Still, I would have felt a lot better about it if I hadn't been alone.

When I returned to the saddle, my buddy had just come down from Banner. Then we had a long walk back to Waugh Lake.

Back in ancient history 40 odd years ago, a group of five went to climb Ritter by this same route. Four died and only one lived to tell about it, all due to stormy weather and poor judgment.

–B.G.–

Art … BPL Member
PostedFeb 27, 2014 at 10:49 am

from the saddle, the Ritter routes seem to hold snow longer than the Banner route.
you will want axe and crampons if the Ritter route has snow.
Banner from the saddle is a class 2 talus slog but great views at the top.

Bob Gross BPL Member
PostedFeb 27, 2014 at 11:55 am

Crampons and ice axes are impossible to predict without seeing the snow season end. I'm guessing that August 2014 will be fairly snow-free if the current trend holds. The reason for snow on this route is that it faces mostly northeast, and that is the direction where snow gets the least sun exposure, at least for North America. Banner will have zero snow because the regular route up from the saddle faces the southwest.

So, you could make a plan that you will do Ritter unless there seems to be too much snow. Then you could swing over to Banner instead. You would not want to go all the way up that far and then get skunked.

I was there around the first of September one year, and the bottom of the route had snow. In fact, I was descending the last hundred yards of snow to the saddle when I fell and injured my hand on a sharp rock, which made the snow red all around. Not recommended.

–B.G.–

PostedFeb 27, 2014 at 12:33 pm

I'll agree that Banner is a Class 2 talus slog with incredible views at the top. Definitely recommended.

PostedFeb 27, 2014 at 8:50 pm

Skeeters are very hard to predict. Temperature plays a big role, and how much rain falls in the early summer can make a big difference as well.

Around late may, check here http://www.highsierratopix.com/community/viewforum.php?f=1

And you'll find a skeeter conditions thread – they have one every year.

But I'd plan on seeing plenty if starting July 2nd. Headnet would be in my pack for sure.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Loading...