Topic

Bob Marshall Wilderness Climate

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
PostedFeb 26, 2014 at 12:42 pm

I plan on hiking into and doing some fishing along the south fork of the flathead this summer (Beginning of August). I will be starting at the Meadow creek trailhead and hiking in 10-20 miles and slowly making my way back fishing on the way back. Would like to make another go of it next year with a packraft, starting from Benchmark.

I know average temps can range from the 80s during the day and low 40s at night but am wondering about wind and rain patterns that can expected in the Bob. I am in the process of buying another tent and am wondering if a partial-solid would make sense if there is a lot of wind, but if rain is expected may cause condensation issues.

Thanks for any help.

David Chenault BPL Member
PostedFeb 26, 2014 at 5:34 pm

Aaron, it's possible to get some good rain storms and wind in the South Fork valley, but odds are the weather in early August will be exceedingly mild. There are plenty of nice wooded bottoms along the river as well, so you'll never have to pitch an exposed camp unless you want to.

For a trip on the South Fork that time of year, I'd bring a simple flat tarp and nothing else. Bugs won't be an issue. The sun can be relentless, as much of the trail between Bear Creek and Salmon Forks goes through recent burns. That'd be my main concern.

Enjoy, should be an awesome trip.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Loading...