Topic

Bushwacking from Enchanted Gorge to Simpson Meadow

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Bushwacking from Enchanted Gorge to Simpson Meadow

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Kris Sherwood
    BPL Member

@tuskadero

Locale: Washington State

Trying to put a loop together in SEKI. The last little piece to our puzzle in the 3(ish?) mile bushwack from Enchanted Gorge, down Disappearing Creek to Simpson Meadow.

It sounds like a real bearcat but doable. Anyone have any insight on this section?

Thanks!
    Kris

Aaron D
    Spectator

@ardavis324-2-2-2

I've only heard how awful it is…

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Before you go on that trip, do you need me to be a beneficiary?

–B.G.–

Kris Sherwood
    BPL Member

@tuskadero

That bad huh? I just don't know of an alternate option to keep this loop together.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"I just don't know of an alternate option to keep this loop together."

What is the rest of the intended loop?

Kris Sherwood
    BPL Member

@tuskadero

Plan is in and out at Roads End. Head north on the SHR to Muir Pass, then cut off trail heading back south into the Ionian Basin and down the Enchanted Gorge. We would then have the descent down Goddard creek (and a crossing of the Middle Fork Kings River) to Simpson Meadow and through Granite Basin and back to Road's End.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Plan is in and out at Roads End. Head north on the SHR to Muir Pass, then cut off trail heading back south into the Ionian Basin and down the Enchanted Gorge. We would then have the descent down Goddard creek (and a crossing of the Middle Fork Kings River) to Simpson Meadow and through Granite Basin and back to Road's End."

Nice route. Their do not seem to be many reasonable alternatives. I would suggest PMing Amy Lauterbach/James Yurchenko. They did the route long ago and have some pretty good beta on the route. I corresponded with them last year about it and found them very knowledgeable. I will say they described the brush as pretty formidable, to put it mildly.

Aaron D
    Spectator

@ardavis324-2-2-2

Aside from the bushwhacking.. I can't think of a more awesome loop.

Amy Lauterbach
    BPL Member

@drongobird

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Amy and I have descended all or portions of Goddard Creek canyon down to the Middle Fork Kings on three occasions. The first trip was a descent of the entire length of Goddard Creek from Martha Lake. The next trip was down Enchanted Gorge to GC and then on out to the Middle Fork. Finally we descended the White Divide from Tunemah Peak to point 10987 and then down the northeast slopes to the lower sections of GC and again out to the Middle Fork.

Yes the lower reaches of GC are brushy. However with perseverance, they are passible. You need patience and a willingness to backtrack occasionally when an intended path gets too thick, At times, you can follow the creek itself, either rock hopping or wading. We found that, on average the west side of the creek was easier passage than the east side. It was also easier the further away from the creek (upslope) you go. Crossing the Middle Fork shouldn't be a problem unless the water is high from snow melt, which this season doesn't seem too likely. The area where GC meets the Middle Fork is also littered with debris washed down both watersheds and there are often logs that span the Middle Fork, so, with luck, you could keep your feet dry. You can also find useable campsites in the area, but camping would be difficult further up GC.

How bad is the bushwacking? It may be the most difficult we have done in the Sierra, but it is certainly less so than some areas in the Ventana Wilderness in Big Sur. And if you don't let it destroy you mentally, look around and you realize just how spectacular the surrounding area is.

Enchanted Gorge itself is an amazing descent. Totally wild, remote, and unforgiving, but a quintessential Sierra off-trail experience.

Another option for returning to Road's End with a fine cross country walk is to descend Murro Blanco along the South Fork Kings from the JMT to Paradise Valley. This should be done in low water, so depending on snow melt, it may not be passible early in the season. Its not as difficult at Enchanted Gorge, but is still challenging and is absolutely stunning countryside.

James,
    responding for Amy and myself

Kris Sherwood
    BPL Member

@tuskadero

Thanks a million for the info. Much needed and super helpful. Really looking forward to it and will let everyone know how it goes assuming this is our final decision.

Jane Fisher
    BPL Member

@jellen1517

See Phil Arnot’s High Sierra: John Muir’s Range of Light, Chapter 18. The Enchanged Gorge, pages 169-176 provides detailed description of descending Enchanted Gorge.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools