Topic

BD Alpine Start Hoody

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) BD Alpine Start Hoody

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Given recent expressions of interest, I put a few words and photos together: http://bedrockandparadox.com/2014/02/25/the-black-diamond-alpine-start-hoody/

I've had it for a few weeks, and thus can't meaningfully comment on DWR longevity or durability. Balance of wind protection and breathability seems excellent thus far. I'm particularly pleased that it has the touch of stretch that it does, and still dries very fast.

I'd prefer the hood drawcord were tweaked a bit, and could live with longer sleeves, but overall it's pretty darn good. Whether it is worth the considerable expense is another matter entirely.

hwc 1954

@wcollings

I just got one, too. My Medium, with the tags, weighs 7.8 ounces. The fabric is pretty interesting. It's 2.3 oz/yd2 nylon/spandex single weave soft shell. That's super thin fabric for a soft shell. Stretchy, but not super stretchy. It packs small enough into its pocket to be a suitable staple in the backpack.

Definitely much more air permeable than a 2013 Houdini or a Marmot Trail Wind, although not as air permeable as a Marmot Stretch Light (4.0 oz/yd2 polyester/spandex single weave soft shell) and not even close to the Marmot incline hoody.

I think it will be a useful winter top layer, a good compromise between moderate weather resistance and some breathability. It's like an "ultra-light" softshell hoody, although probably not as air permeable as the 15 ounce unlined softshells. However, the lighter weight and small pack size make it a better option to stuff into the backpack than those bulkier softshells.

it would have been a good piece the other day when I was snowshoeing after a big snow fall and melting snow from the trees was dripping on me all day. 35 degrees. The Alpine Start over a light long sleeve t-shirt or a Capilene 2 would have probably been workable.

For the price, I would like to see a bit more "design" quality. The materials are top rate, but the cut is pretty simplistic — all straight lines, no curved seams. Well below what you would see from Patagonia or Marmot. And, the obnoxiously large white logo borders on being criminal. Should have just left that off entirely or downsized it by 50%.

Likewise, the hood adjustments are function, but short of what I have come to expect from Marmot hoods, event those that are helmet-compatible.

Paul Hatfield
    BPL Member

@clear_blue_skies

Sure wish we had air permeability and hydrostatic head numbers for the fabric.

Any chance for a pic of someone wearing the hood without a hat/helmet?

hwc 1954

@wcollings

I didn't have any problem cinching the front drawcords down tight and keeping the hood out of my eyes. It seemed to fit best with the hood up under my chin with the drawcords pulling it fairly tight on the top of my head. The extra material just hung in the back. I think would be better than the Houdini hood on a super windy day because it has the front elastic adjusters to keep it from blowing off your head. Not as good as the Marmot Trail Wind Hoody, which fits tighter overall and has the front adjusters, too. I would say the hood is ugly, but functional.

Paul Hatfield
    BPL Member

@clear_blue_skies

There's a video on youtube showing someone wearing the jacket:

YouTube video

Paul Hatfield
    BPL Member

@clear_blue_skies

I received this response from Black Diamond:

Thanks for getting in touch with us. The jacket is 40 CFM (cubic feet per minute) which is technically 40 CFM/M2 (cubic feet per minute per meter squared) but the industry simply refers to this as CFM. This is testing done by Schoeller and tested by BD. It is a stretch fabric and should increase the CFM slightly when stretched.

The hydrostatic head is approx 500 mm. It is treated with Nanosphere but does not have any coating that is generally required to get higher hydrostatic performance.

Kim Hall | Black Diamond Equipment

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

$150

yikes, it better be durable.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

150$ list is normal for a light hooded non mebrane softshell … at least the name brand ones

as to durability, i would be very interested in knowing this especially for rock climbing … namely high abrasion against the rock

softshells tend to be fairly durable, but not always .. my EB FA guide pants blew out quickly ..

on the other hand BD does say they have a totally unlimited warranty on their clothing

hmmmm

;)

hwc 1954

@wcollings

>>150$ list is normal for a light hooded non mebrane softshell … at least the name brand ones

The Alpine Start hoody is much lighter stretch fabric than most unlined soft shell jackets. It's only 2.4 oz/yd2. Most softshells are 6 or 8 oz/yd2. It's also very spartan compared to a typical softshell with only one pocket, very rudimentary hood adjustment, etc.

It's pretty expensive for what it is, but I think Schoeller charges and arm and a leg for the fabric.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools