Topic

88" of snow in 'Vegas' Spring Mountains

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking 88" of snow in 'Vegas' Spring Mountains

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

We now have a yearly total of 88″ in our Spring Mountains on the north side of the Las Vegas valley.

Yippee! I’ll be going up to camp soon.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Same here. Over 6 feet in the San Jacinto Mountains at 8,500′ elevation on the desert divide. Much more heading west and near the peak, which is 10,833′ elevation. This morning the snow level was down to 3,000 feet.

Here’s the view from my back yard this morning… note the contrast of Palm Trees framing the snow capped mountain range ;-)

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Nick – I’ve always enjoyed your posts but right now I’m quite jealous (and not sure I like you anymore – Ha!). Thanks for posting – that’s amazing!

Todd Stough
    BPL Member

@brewguy

Nick people always ask why anyone would want to live in California.  That picture is a good example why.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

One of the reasons I moved here is the close proximity to many outstanding areas. Several times a year I walk 3 miles from my house to a trailhead and from there it is about 16 or 17 miles to the peak of Mt. San Jacinto. The only difficulty is the first 8 miles or so of the trail has an 8,000 foot elevation gain. This time of year it is a very serious hike requiring ice axe, crampons, and snow shoes, so I just take the tram up to the 8,500 foot elevation (takes an hour or less to drive from my house and get to the top of the tram station), because my wife won’t let me go solo up the trail in winter snow, and I can’t find anyone to do the hike with me in winter — Craig W, are you reading this ;-)

Other times I just drive 50 miles to the back side of the mountain near Idylwild and hike from there. But usually when there is this much snow I only do one or two winter trips as I don’t particularly like cold weather, plus it is exactly 51 miles from my house to both the north and south entrances of Joshua Tree NP, which makes for a more enjoyable trip. Last night the temperature in the San Jacintos was 7F, with something like -10F windchill factor and I’m a sissy when it gets that cold!

Its about a 4 hour drive from my house to the Southern Sierra, which is convenient too.

Craig and I are going to the GGG, which is an epic drive for me, about 6 hours. This fall I drove 13 hours to the Trinity Alps to do a trip with some BPLers, the furtherest I have ever driven to go backpacking — but the company was worth the time spent driving. Plus I drove home along the coast and did some great car camping, since my planned backpacking trip in the Los Padres National forest couldn’t happen because the forest was closed from Monterey down to San Luis Obispo due to a forest fire. We need the snow with our drought, although a few years ago (I think it was 2011) we had record snow in the local mountains here and in the Sierra.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Nick,

I live in “Sin City” and the high desert here can get chilly (below freezing) but our mountains get frigid.

Yes, I have a palm tree in my yard. Yes, I can go to the snow when I want. No, I don’t own a snow shovel, just an avy shovel.

BUT, now I can’t go into my Spring Mountains backcountry B/C the Forest Service says the avalanche danger is too great now the the snow total has TOPPED 100 inches!

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

When you say you “can’t” go, do you mean they closed the area and it’s illegal to enter?

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

I live in “Sin City” and the high desert here can get chilly (below freezing) but our mountains get frigid.

Yes, I know. The past 15 years I have spent at least 4 weeks every year camping, backpacking, and biking in Lake Mead NRA. Last December was the first time in 15 years we didn’t spend the last two weeks of December at LM NRA. But I can deal with 27F versus sub-zero. Brrrrr!

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Justin,

The Forest Service rangers had stopped traffic into Lee Canyon for a few days until the Lee Canyon Ski Resort ski patrol avalanche experts could certify that the danger in a few areas had moderated.

In the ski area itself those patrollers use a 155 mm howitzer and HE rounds first then when the worst has been avalanched off they ski up and drop hand charges in the smaller areas. But it was areas near but not inside the Lee Canyon Ski Resort that recently became dangerous.

The lot where I would normally park to go into the backcountry has as of yet not been plowed. I’ll try Feb. 15 and see what happens.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools