Topic

Pack recommendation for the ladies in my life

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Pack recommendation for the ladies in my life

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Curtis B.
    BPL Member

@rutilate

Locale: Pacific Northwest

What UL packs would you recommend I consider for my wife and rather petite daughter?

My wife and daughter have now bought into UL principles and are looking to replace their Osprey Aura and Deuter something-or-other with something lighter weight.

My wife is 5'4", torso is 16.5", daughter is 5'2", estimated torso length is 14.5"-15".

For most trips they'll have a base weight of 12-15 lbs and total weight of ~25 lbs and MAYBE a day or two at the beginning of a long trip a total of 30 lbs (such as the first couple of days through the 100 Mile Wilderness last summer). Most trips are 4-5 days.

I would like to find something with limited internal structure (like the stays on an HMG Porter), but not reliant upon the pad for structure. My wife hates my Porter because it has no external pockets for the snacks, hat, gloves, bars, etc. that she wants easy access to, either with a lid or very generous side/belt pockets.

Ladies (and men who buy gear for them), what would you recommend that I add to the list to consider?

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Well if your Porter fits they could us the HMG Windrunner. Basically the same pack but with pockets.

Another pack I really, really, like is the Exped Lighting. I got the 60 liter version to test out and its grown on me. The stay is a bit tall (24 inches). Depending on how bulky your loads are that may or may not be an annoyance. This pack carries weight better then anything I've tried so far. I'd cautiously say I think it carries weight better then the Porter.

The main downside to the Lighting is the limited pockets (but more then the Porter). There are hipbelt pockets, side pockets and a pocket where most pocks have a hydration pocket. They are starting to go on sale because an updated version is coming out. You can get one on sale or wait for the improved version (on the new one the compression straps won't go over the pockets).

If you want pockets you might consider the Osprey Exos 48. My mom loves the fit of the old version and I've heard the new one is even better. Lots of pockets there.

Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

Locale: norcal

I bought my niece an REI flash pack. The thing I like about it is that there aren't many of the compromises that are in some of the severe UL packs. This means she can use it for multiple sports. Further, it's reasonably priced.

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

My wife loves her ULA Ohm.

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

The Mariposa has many proud female hikers behind it, and in my experience is a very spacious pack. 30 lbs. for a few days would not be a problem. The 12-15 lbs. you mentioned seem to be about what it's designed for.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

As an UL lady…..

My favorite is the gossamer gear stuff…I like the gorilla but I imagine the mariposa is just as sweet. I have a girlfriend who was trying to go lighter as well and I tried to sell her my osprey exos…she had the same problem as I did, which is painful collarbones/shoulders. She went the gorilla route and I think she will never part with that pack. Ever.

I also likes the S straps on ULA packs…very nice fit.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools