Topic

Who’s going in 2014?!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Philmont Who’s going in 2014?!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    John Rorke
    Spectator

@joshetal

Locale: Mid Atlantic

Just hoping to stir up some posts here. We are two full crews of 12 from PA. The crew I'm an advisor for is mostly 15 and 16 year olds with considerable packpacking experience. They are bouncing around a north to south trek that includes Baldy and Tooth but not the trail of tears, instead pressing on to Zastrow. They like last years Trek 22. Anyone ever done this specific trek or one like it? Anyone done a similar south to north?

Here's a link to last year's 22: http://philmontscoutranch.org/filestore/philmont/camping/2013itinerary/2013itin_22.jpg

Jay L
    BPL Member

@jjlash

My son did #22 last year with another Troop and our Troop did #21 the year before. Trek 21 was about 90% the same but run from south to north.

South to north is probably better if you are "flat landers" like us. That puts Baldy toward the end of the trek rather than towards the beginning.

John Galt

@towjumper

Locale: Southeastern US

We are headed there and are awaiting the publication of the 2014 treks. We like 23 from 2013.

Troop 10, Macon, Georgia

william cheney

@wcheney

I am the contingent leader for 6 crews from the Jackson, Mississippi area. In 2011 I did what is basically 33 from last year and the crew from the other troop did 31. Of my previous treks I really prefer North to South. While there are negatives hiking down from the Tooth of Time there is something to be said for being in camp than waiting on a bus.

JC Root
    BPL Member

@evilroot

Locale: Central Oregon

Flaming Eagles Patrol from Troop 90 is headed to Philmont in mid July and they are trying to get Trek #34

John Rorke
    Spectator

@joshetal

This trek looks awesome indeed. South to North so you have a view of Baldy for a few days to motivate. I think this would be perfect for the scouts in Crew 804 this August, but maybe too challenging for some advisors that are locked in. Now,if we could loose some of this winter weather, the shakedowns could begin and we could cure that… another foot this weekend in PA. People are losing it over this winter. We have a shakedown scheduled for first weekend of April and suddenly need to find something south of the mason dixon, but not too far for a 2 day 20 miler. Suggestions for that defrosted trail within a few hours of say Philly? With cars, we need to find an out and back or loop if possible.

Matt Dirksen
    BPL Member

@namelessway

Troop 214 from University Park, MD will be on our way in Mid-July!

We have a few 100lb kids plus some not-so experienced hikers on this crew, so it looks like we will be picking one of the "challenging" itenaries.

I think trek 10 is their first choice.

Hope to see you there!

Matt

william cheney

@wcheney

Our first shakedown trip is next weekend near Chattanooga. We are out for 3 nights and around 28 miles. It is a little far from Philadelphia. We are going north to get some hill work but not so far that we need snow gear. As I have a young crew I imagine we are going to be looking at the challenging treks when the list comes out.

Bruce Mueller

@brucemueller

Locale: Midwest

We will have three crews from our Troop going out at the end of July. While we are all waiting for the annual itinerary guide, I expect we will have one experienced crew head over Baldy or to the north, and two crews heading for the mid-teen treks. We are still looking forward to shaking off the snow here in Chicago before getting some spring shakedowns in, but it cannot come soon enough….

I'm working with our crews on structuring out shakedown campouts this time around. Anyone have any tips on teaching skills at shakedowns, and how to add some fun into it all?

Looking forward to returning to HOmE…

B.

John Myers
    BPL Member

@dallas

Locale: North Texas

Our Troop has a crew going this year.
    This will be my 3rd trek as an advisor and I'm really looking forward to it.

The guys have been looking over last year's itineraries so we can be ready when the 2014 ones come out.

I'm good on gear, but need to shed a few extra pounds that I picked up since the last time I went. This is a good incentive to stay in shape. :)

ed dzierzak
    BPL Member

@dzierzak

Locale: SE

It's good to use the previous year's Treks books for planning, just be aware that there may be changes. Trek 22 in the 2013 book may look totally different in 2014. Be ready to be flexible! Semper Gumby!

John Myers
    BPL Member

@dallas

Locale: North Texas

Yep, we know there will likely be changes.

This is just to try to get the new guys thinking about what they might like and what the range of options is.

william cheney

@wcheney

Probably the most interesting "training tip" is getting the Philmont meals and having the boys practice cooking AND eating the Philmont way. I have told my boys it is interesting what you will eat when hungry.

I have the Philmont scouts camp separate from the Troop on campouts and we have had games for normal scout skills (1st aid, orienteering, fire starting) as well as Philmont skills – rope coiling and throwing (some of those bear cables are high)and pumping water. A $5 gift card here and there for the winner adds to the fun. Another scoutmaster had a contest to see who could come up with the lightest but yet still useable version of an item (example replaced a Nalgene water bottle with a Powerade bottle which weighed less than the Gatorade bottle.

Of course training hikes.

william cheney

@wcheney

The 2014 Trek Itineraries are posted on the PSR website.

ed dzierzak
    BPL Member

@dzierzak

Locale: SE

The Treks have been out for a few days. I believe Al Thompson (Watchu) has done a preliminary comparison with 2013 and found a few changes and one "new" trek. Trek 34 (SuperStren) includes Little Costilla, Metcalf Station and Chase Canyon.

Some of the minor changes now use new areas available on the Chase Rance and Kimberlin Ponil Ranch (per Roy Fisher).

Tri-State Area Council is on its last trek… :( We're being merged with a neighboring council. 623-B1 and -B2. We'll see what treks get chosen in about 10 days.

JC Root
    BPL Member

@evilroot

Locale: Central Oregon

Troop 90 from Bend, Oregon scored Trek #34—Time to whip the boys into shape

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools