Topic

Longer head net suggestions please

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Longer head net suggestions please

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    zorobabel frankenstein
    BPL Member

@zorobabel

Locale: SoCal

I'm trying to use just a tarp for shelter, no bivy bag. For peace of mind, I'm looking for a longer headnet to use with my sleeping bag.
    Does any one have suggestions for a longer and cheaper one? Thanks.

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

I'm a fan of the Sea to Summit Headnet. Not sure what you mean by cheap, but it's $10 and I find that to be a good price for a headnet made of black mesh (easier to see through) that is long enough to tuck into my shirt for full neck coverage.

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

I've found these fine in the past. Also, they have a new version that is a crazy light 11grams! Made from some new 15D mesh, whatever that is.

http://www.seatosummit.com.au/products/bug-protection/nano-mosquito-headnets/

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

I think I know what you mean, you want a large piece of netting to go over your head, shoulders, and go over your sleeping bag with a bungee that seals around your chest?

I like the sts net as well. But if you are sleeping bugs can get into the hole of your bag.

Borah or bpwd would easily take care of you or diy.

My opinion, you can buy a full bug bivy from Borah for $60 that weighs 6oz. It will keep your sleep system clean and dry because of the silnylon floor.

zorobabel frankenstein
    BPL Member

@zorobabel

Locale: SoCal

Thanks Dena, Adam and Michael!
    I'm looking for a headnet about 2-3 feet long, to use it just like described by Michael.
    I got the idea from a BPL post some years back, the user wrote his long headnet was great for eating as well.

Michael, if you are using that bug bivy, are you ditching the ground sheet?

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

You could always buy one of S2S' nets for sleeping, then cut that up how you need it. If you wear say a visor or cap or hat, you'd just need a square or rectangle of it. Drap it over the top (think poncho without a head hole), then down your sides. A few little mitten hooks on corners to connect to places on your clothing and you are probably done. Probably weigh under an ounce total.

Heck I can't believe I just thought of that.

And yeah maybe add a seem on two parrallel sides of it and thread through some 1/16 zpacks bungy, like what Michael said.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

"Made from some new 15D mesh, whatever that is"

Hexagonal mesh? sounds like tulle to me.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools