Topic

Any point in getting a new wind shirt?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Any point in getting a new wind shirt?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

I have a Golite Dakota windshirt I like okay. Good for rest stops, not so good for more than a few minutes of hiking. But for 3 season hiking when it's not raining, I'm usually warm enough with a long sleeve merino top, and speeding up a bit to stay warm.

Been looking at the Montbell Tachyon Anorak. For a little less weight than the Dakota, it has a hood–not too pricey, either.

But recent windshirt threads suggest Tachyon breathability won't be much/any better than DriDucks/Frogg Toggs, which I already carry some trips. So still just a rest stop piece.

Maybe I should skip the windshirt and use DriDucks for both? Anyone have a Tachyon and really like it? What niche does it fill?

Roman Vazhnov
    BPL Member

@joarr

Locale: Russia

I think it is good emergency wind shirt, which sits inside your pack most of the time, and goes out when you are freezing due to stop moving, or high winds. I would not use it all the time when moving.

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

I have a tachyon anorak here in Japan the last few months over winter. I live on the sea of Japan coast, which is really windy and wet, and gets plenty of snow. It just about never stops blowing wind. The tachyon is outstanding. I probably run hot when awake (and cold asleep) and I sweat a lot, but I have no problems chucking this on when I need it. It breaths amazingly well. I've done climbs here and in China and Korea recently where its been between 10C and -10C, and I've been powering up on foot. Strip down to basically just a t-shirt, maybe also a light beanie and gloves. By the time I get to the top, I'm a bit sweaty. Hit the wind at the top of the ridge, blowing a gale, crazy wind chill. Whip the tachyon straight out of hip pocket (it literally only takes up the size of a chicken egg), throw it straight on over the top of everything leaving on the wet t-shirt, and I'm instantly fine. It stops all the wind. It fits perfectly. The hood is fantastic. And before I know it, despite trekking down or along a ridge top, I'm dry inside. It dries so quickly, that when I get home to Aus, I'm going to try it out walking in the rain there when I get the chance. It sheds snow and light rain piece of cake. Heavy rain no doubt it will soak through, but I bet if it isn't too cold, and I'm moving hard enough, it will probably end up being more comfortable than if I had a good WPB on, at least I won't sweat it out as much, and it will dry far, far faster.

It is plenty durable to use all the time. See John Abela's review of the Tachyon jacket and Montbell Dynamo windpants. He's put their stuff through the wringer.

http://hikelighter.com/2013/07/01/montbell-tachyon-wind-jacket-2013-edition/

GET IT!

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

X2 on the mb tachyon, 2.3oz of warmth and very portable.

The hood is insanely good it has a stiff brim and multiple points of adjustment to hug and turn with your head.

I'm not sure how good your current wind shirt is but you could likey upgrade and get better water proofness and lighter weight.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

I am not as thrilled with the hood as previous posters, but it's a good windshirt for 2oz's. Definitely breaks the wind. It doesn't breathe very well like you mentioned so if that's the sole reason you are in the market better look elsewhere.

Ryan

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

The tachyon isn't very breathable? I have never felt clammy just got then I unzip or take it off.

What wind shirts breathe better?

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio
    James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

If you are using it for rests and slow travelling … No uou dont need a windshirt

In those low output activities, just bring a rain jacket

;)

Paul Hatfield
    BPL Member

@clear_blue_skies

To quote Richard Nisley from a different thread:
    "I have not tested a Montbell Tachyon but, I have tested the SAME APPARENT Montbell 7 denier ballistic rip stop used in their EX Light. It tested 9.72 CFM."

If the two Montbell garments do use the same fabric, I would consider 9.72 CFM to be moderately breathable, and it would explain some people's opinion that it breathes well for their use. I'd like to see actual test numbers for the Montbell Tachyon and Dynamo.

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

9.72 cfm seems significant, compared to 3M Propore (DriDucks) which (IIRC) Richard Nisley tested at 0.33 cfm.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

The Tachyon breathes better than many windshirts on the market right now, but still low compared to the gold standard of about 35cfm. Good all around wind shirt though. I own one and use it on trips where I expect high winds, open terrain, etc.

Ryan

Lindsey Sommer
    Spectator

@lgsommer

Hmm, some interesting insights here. I've been really torn on whether or not it's worth getting a windshirt after all of this "non-breathing" stuff lately. I mean, in theory couldn't I just use my rain layer for the same purpose? Why get a windshirt if you are already going to carry a rain layer anyways?

hwc 1954

@wcollings

CFM is primarily a measure of wind resistance. The higher the number, the more wind/air will pass through the jacket. Of course, that means that hot air/humidity gets blown out of the jacket, but it also means that the cold wind blows through the jacket.

There is another measure MVTR that indicates how much moisture can be moved through the fabric. For example, Gore-Tex ProShell is 100% wind resistant with a CFM of 0%, but it does indeed move some moisture through the fabric. A Patagonia Houdini surely moves more moisture than a Gore-Tex ProShell.

I think you have to decide what you want. If you want a jacket that you can wear under hard exertion, then there are plenty of very highly breathable long sleeve tops that will do that. Heck, a long sleeve tech t-shirt is quite breathable. There are dozens of wicking mesh half-zip tops for the running market that are incredibly breathable and offer a bit of warmth on a cool day. There are unlined softshells with minimal wind protection and high breathability. But, if you want something to put on when you get above treeline and get smacked with a 40 mph breeze, then these highly breathable tops won't help you stay warm and you might prefer to be able to grab a jacket that actually cuts the wind. If you find that your rainshells are comfortable for that, then there is no need to carry a windshell.

I only have three rain jackets, so maybe there's a comfortable one out there that I've missed, but I don't want to wear any of them on an above freezing day unless its actually raining or snowing or unless I'm looking for emergency warmth and want to trap warm moist air and block maximum wind.

I think much of the misgiving about breathability is an effort to turn a windbreaker into something it's not: a high aerobic output top. They are two completely different products for two completely different goals.

Glenn S

@glenn64

Locale: Snowhere, MN

Guess it depends on your plans. A clear weekend forecast? A day hike? A morning road ride on the bike? Rain gear is bulky and heavy compared ro the pocket sized 2 1/2 oz windbreaker. It'll keep a light drizzle or mist off for a short time and block chilly morning/evening breezes. It has a place, but it depends on your plans. Not every trip is a full on multi week or thru hike.

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

So I bought a Tachyon anorak from Montbell's Outlet page. $60. 2.3 oz on my scale for the Medium. First impressions:

>Could have gone with a Small for more athletic fit over base layer alone (except they were out of Small). Medium still fits fine, and allows use over layers (including my Down Inner).
    >Hood fit and adjustment is amazing for such a minimal piece.
    >Breath test shows breathability better than Propore or my Golite Dakota wind shirt.

Comparing the Dakota and the Tachyon, I'm noticing some features from the Dakota that would be nice if incorporated in a lighter piece. Notably, highly breathable, slightly-stretchy panels running under the arms, from forearm back to armpit, and then down the sides. And a very long zipper (nice for ventilation): 18" vs. 10" for the Tachyon.

Overall, I think I'll find the Tachyon more versatile. Wore it yesterday walking to work, 39* and calm, over a long sleeve T. Added warmth, but not too much, even with a steep hill climb. I'll see how much precip it can handle over the next few days, with rain in forecast.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools