Topic

Mid layer down jacket for tall female

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Mid layer down jacket for tall female

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    hwc 1954

@wcollings

Here's a 6'2" guy modelling a medium Marmot Zeus down sweater on the Zappos site:

http://www.zappos.com/marmot-zeus-jacket-dark-azure

The Zeus and the Quasar have the same 28 inch back center length, so you can get an idea of the length. The Quasar is cut slimmer through the body and waist than the Zeus. My Zeus is sized to wear over mid-layers for me and, in fact, I can wear it over my Quasar Hoody — not big, big like a down parka, but ample through the body. The Quasar is athletic. I can wear it over a power stretch fleece, but that's about it. So it's going to be trimmer than the medium Zeus looks on this model.

I don't think length will be a problem for you with the medium and probably not even with the mens small (1 inch shorter sleeves and body length is probably a good guess). The question will be the cut through the body. The Quasar is definitely a slim/athletic cut jacket, so worst case is it would be a little big, but not a tent like a men's down parka.

Lindsey Givens
    Spectator

@linz82

This helps a lot on sizing the Quasar! Thanks!

Lindsey Givens
    Spectator

@linz82

I just ordered the women's Medium Tall version of this jacket and it was NOT long. Well, the arms were long enough, but way to short in the torso. Does anyone have the womens large or mens medium that could give me the back measurement or any other helpful dimensions of this jacket? For some reason I can't get this information from customer service or from the website.

Jon Leibowitz
    BPL Member

@jleeb

Locale: New England

I'm 6', about 15 pounds heavier than you and have pretty long arms. Any medium garment from Patagonia fits me perfectly. You could look into their mens medium for their down jackets. If you buy it from REI, it's risk free.

Lindsey Givens
    Spectator

@linz82

Thanks Jon Leibowitz! I've tried on the whole slew of jackets from REI and no luck yet. Patagonia mens small fits pretty good, but is too tight in the butt/hip region (woman hips, lol), but the mediums are WAY too big in the chest.

I'm thinking pretty serious about the Men's Quasar Hoody now. Hopefully a mens medium will work out.

hwc 1954

@wcollings

Based on a down sweater vest, the Patagonia "down sweater" models fit pretty much the same as the Marmot Zeus jackets (regular fit).

I've never tried one on, but it looks like the Patagonia Ultralight down models are a "slim" fit, like the Marmot Quasar – although Marmot describes the Quasar as being "regular fit", so who knows? I know it's not as "regular" as the Zeus! :)

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

Lindsey, I purchased the Eddie Bauer jacket in XL tall. I am 6'5" 195 and have very long arms. The arm length was good but I found the belly of the jacket way too big.

I have since purchased a Stoic Hadron jacket and really like it. It looks a bit different, but the fit is slim and the arm length, even in regular sizing, is pretty good. Its light, but maybe too light for your preference. I recently used it down to almost 20 degrees at night and did fine.

Lindsey Givens
    Spectator

@linz82

Just an update, I tried on a friends Montbell Frost Line Parka-Men's Medium. I want to order a Frost Smoke Parka but was unsure of the size since everyone says they run small. a medium was way to large for me. After some research, The Frost Smoke and Frost Line Parkas are much longer than the other Montbell jackets. Thought this would be good info for anyone interested in Montbell but shy'd away because they thought they'd be to short. I'm going to order the Frost Smoke Parka, Mens small. 12.7 oz with 3.5oz down fill for $189. Pretty damn good deal!

Mens Medium:
    Front Zipper length: 29 ½”
    Back length: 29 ½”
    Arm pit to bottom of jacket: 25”
    Arm length: 33 ½”

Quite large for me in the chest and hips.
    6'-0", 150 lbsMontbell Frost Line Parka - FrontFrost Line Parka Side

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools