Topic

Black Diamond Alpine Start Hoody

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Black Diamond Alpine Start Hoody

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    hwc 1954

@wcollings

Campsaver has the Black Diamond Alpine Start hoody for 25% off ($112). This is a 7.1 ounce stretch woven soft shell. DVR water resistance. Good option for a very high breathability "windshirt".

http://www.campsaver.com/alpine-start-hoody-men-s

Paul Hatfield
    BPL Member

@clear_blue_skies

You are basing that on David Chenault's statement where he ranked it on an arbitrary scale, right? To summarize what he stated in the windshirt thread:

Most breathable

10 – Rab Boreas; 68.69 CFM tested by Richard N
    6.5 – Rab Alpine Jacket (Pertex Equilibrium); ~20 CFM per Pertex specs
    4 – Black Diamond Alpine Start Hoody
    1 – Patagonia Houdini (2013, 2014); 3.73 CFM tested by Richard N

Least breathable

For now I think that is the only information that we have about its breathability.

Also note that the hood is designed for helmet use and might be an issue, especially if you are not wearing a hat. Don't have enough data on that.

hwc 1954

@wcollings

The Alpine Start is a 93% nylon 7% spandex Schoeller 4-way stretch soft shell fabric. Under 4 oz/yard, which is a very thin fabric of that type. These fabrics actually aren't that great at blocking wind, which is why I put "windshirt" in quotation marks. They are good at dumping body heat during high aerobic effort.

The Black Diamond hood has dual adjusters, one on each side, which should make it functional without a helmet.

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Locale: Boulder, CO

EXTRA20 code gets you an extra %20 off. Activejunky rebar brings it down to just over $80 all told. Dammit, Dave C., I'm blaming you for my windshirt obsession.

Jimmy Bui

@jimdbui

Hey Serge,

What's this extra Activejunky discount you speak of?

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

http://www.activejunky.com/home

The website will explain it better than me, but its a rebate program. You have sign up with them and then link to their retailers from their site. Active junky gets a percentage of the sale, & then give us a cut of that. With campsaver, you get back %8 of your purchase to your paypal account quarterly. It works, I've used it. Only problem is that it makes it easier to justify stuff you don't need ;)

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

http://www.activejunky.com/home

The website will explain it better than me, but its a rebate program. You have sign up with them and then link to their retailers from their site. Active junky gets a percentage of the sale, & then give us a cut of that. With campsaver, you get back %8 of your purchase to your paypal account quarterly. It works, I've used it. Only problem is that it makes it easier to justify stuff you don't need ;)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools