Topic

Pertex Shield + durability

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Pertex Shield + durability

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Sam Sockwell
    BPL Member

@sockwellsam

Can anyone with significant wearing time for their Pertex Shield + jacket comment on durability? It feels too good to be true, almost.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

It does seem kind of fragile, but I think for a jacket that spends most of its time in the bottom of your pack it's perfect. If you need a daily-wear-year-round-beat-up kind of garment, this will not be your choice.

I've had a version of it (a Rab kinetic and a Rab Pulse) for about a year and a half and frankly, I simply love it. I take good care of my gear, and a year+ worth of cramming the kinetic into my pack, sitting on it on wet ground, wearing it maybe half a dozen times with a pack…there's not a mark on it. But I do know there are stories of people using the pertex+shield pants for biking and wore out the crotch pretty quickly.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

the more you use it the more itll wear out

the UL ones can wear out faster especially the 2.5 layer ones

solution? … buy it from a brand/retailer with a no questions asked unlimited warranty

theres a reason why the OR helium is pretty popular … its not that its an awwwwsum jacket (just a good light one) …

its because if anything happens OR will take care of you

;)

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I have Pertex Shield+ pants (Montane Minumus). The membrane was a real let down. I use the pants regularly (hiking, but also biking to university etc.) and they were waterproof for a couple months. The membrane soon started leaking badly (not just the DWR failing) and by about 6 months in the membrane was bubbling everywhere. I'd say only about 50% of it exists on my pants anymore.

About a year in I got tired of completely useless rain pants that result in soaked legs 4 steps in a wet field, so I panted them with tent floor sealant. Now they are waterproof again, 1/2oz heavier and probably not breathable at all.

So my $0.02 is that it's fine for a jacket you'll use a couple times of year, but if you're using the garment regularly then you'll want something more durable. It's a niche membrane.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

So when after around a decade my Patagonia Specter was beginning to lose some of its DWR, I bought a RAB rain jacket made of Pertex Shield. Tested it in a downpour walking the dogs. Not too bad. First time out backpacking with it, slept in a cabin on a mountain top (Mt Cabot – 4K footer in NH) and awoke to plummeting temps and a rain/ice storm. Slow and dangerous going getting down off the mountain. The jacket kept me dry, mostly, but not much DWR – no beading, just wet on the outside. Cancelled the rest of the hike and boogied back to the car in about 10 hours, wet but happy.

So treated the Specter's DWR to get through the season, and my bro gave me an M10 for Xmas. Awesome DWR – no beading, because even the beads won't stick to it. But wish it was a little longer like the Specter.

And after reading Dandy Dan's post, well ….
    Will use the RAB jacket maybe for walking the dogs or something. Would not sell it to anyone for backpacking.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

I've had my rab kinetic in some serious downpours…and it was great.

What pertex + shield stuff is good for is when it spends time in your pack mostly. You need to pull it out for an occasional shower or storm, but say you are in the Sierra…a thunderstorm is possible, but you might only use the jacket a few times if at all.

I would never want to carry an 11oz jacket in those circumstances…heck, I never even used the pulse I brought on the JMT with me last year. But for riding in my pack, there if I need it…it's perfect.

So as long as you use it for what it's designed for, it's a terrific piece of kit.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"What pertex + shield stuff is good for is when it spends time in your pack mostly. You need to pull it out for an occasional shower or storm, but say you are in the Sierra…a thunderstorm is possible, but you might only use the jacket a few times if at all."

+1 I used the Minimus smock last season in the Sierra as both a rain shell and a wind shirt. It came thru an epic thunderstorm/deluge with flying colors and served me well as a wind shirt for hanging around camp and day hiking. I don't know as I'd use it for extended hiking with a full pack, due to potential breathability issues, but that is not my style anyway so not a problem. A WPB shell/wind shirt for 5 oz is a pretty good deal, IMO. I would concur with the general consensus as to its likely poor durability but, as Jennifer said, as long as you don't exceed its design parameters, it's a great piece of gear.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools