Topic

San Gabriel Range near Los Angeles

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Bob Gross BPL Member
PostedFeb 20, 2014 at 11:37 am

Can anybody tell me the current trail conditions in the San Gabriel Range? Specifically, the south-facing side near highway 39 around the Crystal Lake Guard Station, or maybe 6000 feet elevation. Any snow?

–B.G.–

Stephen Barber BPL Member
PostedFeb 20, 2014 at 12:16 pm

Haven't been up there recently, but I sure can't see any snow from down below here. Given the weather this "winter", it's dry as heck and I'd be surprised to see much snow on the south side.

FWIW, here's a link to the Mt. Wilson cam, which is west and lower than the area you're interested in, but might give you an idea of what it's like here.

http://obs.astro.ucla.edu/towercam.htm#imagetop

Are you coming down to our neck of the woods?

Bob Gross BPL Member
PostedFeb 20, 2014 at 12:33 pm

The Mount Wilson camera shot looks clear, but I can't tell what is exposed rock versus snow or anything else. I was not expecting much snow, given this winter's weather. A few tiny patches of snow left deep under the trees won't hurt much.

Your neck of the woods? No, but maybe the belly in one week.

–B.G.–

Don A. BPL Member
PostedFeb 20, 2014 at 12:36 pm

I'll second Stephen–no visible snow from my window in Pasadena. I was up there in Dec. a few weeks after a storm and there were only a few patches left which is typical down here. Snow one day and 70 degrees the next so it doesn't last long.

You might get some information here: http://sangabrielmnts.myfreeforum.org/forum19.php

The weather report for the next 10 days has no snow predicted and temps around 55-60 durning the day, 42 or so at night at 6500ft.

Jerry Adams BPL Member
PostedFeb 20, 2014 at 12:42 pm
Bob Gross BPL Member
PostedFeb 20, 2014 at 1:05 pm

I guess what you guys are saying is that I don't even need to bring my rock skis.

Thanks.

–B.G.–

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Loading...