Topic

The Good Way – Bandelier National Monument

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports The Good Way – Bandelier National Monument

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

A long weekend backpacking in Bandelier National Monument.

BNM

“…ask for the ancient paths, Where the good way is, and walk in it; And you will find rest for your souls.” -Jeremiah 6:16

Presidents Day Weekend saw much warmer temperatures then I would like for backcountry skiing. And the avalanche danger was still high.

So my mind turned from skiing to backpacking. A chance to spend two nights in the backcountry with the stars above me and the ground beneath me.

Simple. Relaxing. And something I was looking forward to as backpacking is ultimately my favorite way to spend time outdoors.

Where to go?

Utah beckoned with its deep canyons, ancient artifacts and red rocks.

But the drive over I70 on a holiday weekend during winter, quite frankly, scared me off. A six-hour drive could easily turn into a 13 hour ordeal.

Then my mind turned south to the “Land of Enchantment”. New Mexico called with its wonderful winter light, deep culture and sublime scenery. And, I must confess, the lack of ski traffic was equally appealing.

I decided on a place I have wanted to visit for quite some time: Bandelier National Monument.

A place that would have equal measure of history and natural beauty.

Trip report and photos here

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

That is a lot of beautiful country and archeology to enjoy in 48 short hours. Enjoyed your TR and the pictures are wonderful.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Heard it is mostly black these days from fires.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools