Topic

Video review of my new Montbell Mirage jacket.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Video review of my new Montbell Mirage jacket.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

Locale: norcal

Thought you guys might like this:

YouTube video

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Thanks for the video Kevin. Can you comment on the fit of the jacket? It would be helpful to know your height/weight, what size you went with and how it fits.

At 5'11", 165 lbs I've been back and forth between a medium and a large in Montbell. When I go medium (UL Down Parka) I find the sleeves & torso a bit short, but when I go large (Alpine Light Parka) there's an awful lot of room in the torso. The Mirage has a longer torso cut than the Alpine Light, so I'm mostly concerned about the sleeve length if I go medium.

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

Dan, I don't understand why, but I find that my UL Down Inner Parka has a bit different fit than my Alpine Light Parka. I am 5'10" and 200 lbs. My ULDIP is a size XL and fits me wonderfully. When I ordered the Alpine Light parka, I assumed I would also need an XL in it too, however, after it got here, I figured I could have went with a large and been just fine… but, I didn't feel like going through the hassle of sending it back and swapping it so I just kept it… I still kind of wish I would have just swapped it to begin with, but oh well. Anyway, more recently when I picked up an Ex Light, I also ordered it in an XL, and it fits me great to, just the same as the ULDIP.

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Dan, my Mirage fits almost exactly the same as my UL down parka, except the Mirage has a little more room in the body for layers and the waistline goes down a few inches further. Sleeve length is basically the same. I have both in a size large and I'm 5'11" and 180 lbs. At first I was worried that it was too big in the body too but I got used to it.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Thanks guys. That's very helpful. A little big is less annoying than a little small, so I'll likely go large.

Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

Everyone's a critic!

Ha… I think I did a good job of it.. i can create another video.

good point on how lofty it is.. I could have put it against a table and compared it against the EX light.

Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

This was a medium. It fit me well. It had a bit of play in it and I could have probably worn something significant under it like maybe a thick wool sweater.

I'm 6' and 180.

Sleeve length was just about right on me.

Trace Richardson
    BPL Member

@tracedef

Good job K! For others wondering about size, got my Mirage Parka two days ago (ooops: Medium) … I'm 5 10 / 160 and it fits perfect …. most loft I've ever seen in a jacket and hood is killer … the back of the head velcro adjustment is pefect for fine tuning … the brim is clever as well … a little piece of tubing in it keeps it straight like a hat so it doesn't flop and block your vision …. my Marmot Zeus is definitely going to find a new home… just no comparison …. It's a bummer it's the Mirage is made in China, in any case, mine had three 2 to 3 inch threads hanging from different seams I had to cut and and handful of other smaller ones hanging and a few pieces of thread that fell on the ground when unwrapping, so I'm definitely going to keep an eye on the seams … they look fine, but two to three inch threads coming out of seams on a finished product is a bit sketchy …. really impressed overall though ….

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

There was another thread on this a while back. The MB UL parka size med fit me perfectly for what it is – that is with minimal layers underneath. I was worried about the Mirage size medium since I wanted it to be roomier. It was, just enough. Longer sleeves, a little more room in the body. Perfect. So I would say if you are happy with the UL parka then you should be fine with the same size mirage. Its a little bit roomier, but not the next size up.

likes hikes
    BPL Member

@basquej88

"Dan, I don't understand why, but I find that my UL Down Inner Parka has a bit different fit than my Alpine Light Parka. I am 5'10" and 200 lbs. My ULDIP is a size XL and fits me wonderfully. When I ordered the Alpine Light parka, I assumed I would also need an XL in it too, however, after it got here, I figured I could have went with a large and been just fine… but, I didn't feel like going through the hassle of sending it back and swapping it so I just kept it… I still kind of wish I would have just swapped it to begin with, but oh well. Anyway, more recently when I picked up an Ex Light, I also ordered it in an XL, and it fits me great to, just the same as the ULDIP."

The reason that the EX Light and the UL Down Inner fit you tighter in XL in comparison to the Alpine Light, is because the EX Light and UL Inner are intended to be used as a mid-layer to fit under a shell. The Alpine Light is intended to be to be more of an outer layer, which you can fit layers underneath.

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

Yes, obviously.

Still, bodies are different so this only explains the relative fits. But if you happen to have a "calibration" by owning one of the others, then the relative fits should be a tremendous help in choose the size.

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

I understand that the Ex Light & the ULDIP is intended to be midlayers, which is why I stress to a lot of folks that I don't use either of these jackets on their own, but as a part of a layering system. Despite this though, I can still comfortable layer a cap 2 long sleeve base layer, and an R1 under both of these pieces without the fit or my range of motion being compromised. The Alpine Light is just bigger though. I wouldn't even describe it as a different cut so much as just a size bigger…

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Locale: Boulder, CO

@Dan
    We have a montbell store in town where I recently tried on the mirage. I'm 6'2" 170 and I like the fit of the medium better. Arms were fine.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I adore my Mirage, its a great piece either by itslef or under a synth layer.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools