Topic

Aqua Mira vs Hiker filter

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Aqua Mira vs Hiker filter

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Matthew Swierkowski

@berserker

Locale: Southeast

I'm going to preface this with the fact that I know this is overkill. I use a Katadyn Hiker filter and AM. I filter all my water and then I treat my drinking water (I carry two 2 liter Platys). My cooking water gets boiled so thus the lack of chemical treatment for it. The good thing about this setup is that if the filter breaks I have a backup water treatment solution.

What got me so paranoid was that my hiking bud got sick off of filtered water. He was hiking with someone else, and they both got sick from water they filtered. Based on the symptoms he described it was probably a virus. I know this is rare in the US, but I figure why not just treat for everything. Then I don't have to worry about my water making me sick.

Mina Loomis
    BPL Member

@elmvine

Locale: Central Texas

I've used it on a couple of weekend trips recently. It seems to work just fine. At least it tastes fine, was easy to use, and I didn't get sick, and I was hiking in central Texas, which is ranch country, so the creek water is sure to really need treatment. –Mina

Pamela Wyant

@riverrunner

I've used Klearwater & found it really convenient. I do not repackage it, but carry it in the original brown glass bottle, since I found it deteriorates rapidly when stored in plastic (2-3 days in my experience).

It adds only a slight taste to the water, probably most noticeable to me because we have well water. I find it tastes like most city water to me.

Pam

ERIC PAYNE
    Spectator

@vaporjourney

Locale: Greater Gila

Has anyone else noticed Klearwater losing it's effectiveness after 2-3 days when repackaged into plastic bottles like Pamela mentioned? I'm hoping to use Klearwater for at least part of the desert portion of the PCT, but worry that repackaging, as well as the desert heat will destroy it's effectiveness.

David Neumann
    BPL Member

@idahomtman

Locale: Southern Oregon Coast

I have read this thread with interest. I have used filters, Aqua Mira, iodine… you name it. Many times, depending on the source, I don't filter at all. There has been some good research articles posted on this site and available elsewhere that would dispute the need to filter or treat many sources of water.

In my experience, people often blame the water for getting sick when it may more likely be personal hygiene issues. I am bothered also by the wait time with chemical treatment, but a little planning ahead usually takes care of that problem. I would prefer not to pack the extra weight a filter requires.

I believe, in many cases, the filtering and chemical treatment is overkill. It all depends on the water source and your knowledge of local conditions.

I am interested in the information regarding Klearwater and it's effectiveness after repackaging. This is a real concern in my view.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

Here in the Pacific NW, it's AM all the way.

PROs:
    It doesn't freeze
    It doesn't clog
    Cheap to replace

CONs:
    It spills
    You cant see how much is left in the bottle

Filter PROs
    Speed; no waiting time
    It doesn't spill

Filter CONs:
    Residual water freezes in fillter element
    Clogs easily; prefilter may be needed
    Replacement elements are expensive
    You must avoid cross-contamination of outlet (filtered water) tubing by inlet (unfiltered water) tubing

I still have my PUR Hiker filter, but haven't used it since my 2001 thru hike of the Tahoe rim Trail. I watched four filters from three different manufacturers plug solid in the same clear stream (ultra-fine glacial flour most likely). I've also had the filter element freeze solid at night, even after my best eforts to pump/drain all residual water out of it before gonig to bed. If faced with this again, I'd slip it into a plastic water-tight bag and sleep with it, like I've done with gas cartridges, but I still wouldn't like it.

I too carry a few Micropur tablets in my emergency kit.

Wandering Bob

Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

Has anyone looked into trying the Frontier Pro filter? It looks like it connects to to UL water carrying devices like the Platy stuff. Here's a link with some good pictures:

http://www.wildernessangler.com/servlet/Detail?no=1315

It seems to me that you could carry your chemical treating agent of preference, and, while waiting for it to finish doing its thing, you could drink from a bladder with the Frontier Pro. At 2oz. you're not really paying a very heavy weight penalty.

Side note: before I saw the light, I used a Katadyn Vario Pro. Aside from weighing over a pound, it was total trash. On my first trip out, it broke at Loke Colden in the 'Dacks. There I was, miles from anywhere, and 1 day into a 5 day hike. Since then I've been pretty enthusiastic about chemically treating my water.

Kirk Beiser

@kab21

Locale: Pic: Gun Lake, BWCA

I was also concerned about the shelf of Klearwater, but ultimately I passed on Klearwater because one bottle it only treated 8gal at regular dose. Compared to 30gal that AquaMira will treat at regular dose (7dropsA/7dropsB) with the 2 bottles. I didn't want to continually resupply. Also be sure to remember that Aquamira isn't sold in California.

For thru hiking I would use AquaMira with tablets as backup. These are nice when mosquitos are swarming and you don't feel like waiting 5 minutes for part A and B to mix.

For 3 day fast trips I would take repackaged Klearwater with tablets as backup. Or just tablets, but they are expensive.

For slow recreational trips with friends I would probably take the ULA gravity filter (or similar). With backup tablets.

Kirk

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

To me, Micropur is superior to A.M. (higher potency, no need for counting drops, 5-min. premixing wait time, and no risk of spilling). Klearwater's short shelf life makes it impractical (or wasteful) to all but truly frequent hikers.

Ryan Gardner
    Spectator

@splproductions

What is the shelf life of Klearwater? I haven't used it yet – I just got some with my BPL order a week or so ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools